West Mermaid (Peak 4654) via West Fork Bear Creek - trip report and photos

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

[TLDR: Nice mostly off trail canyon hike to very rarely visited peak, encountered illegal pot grow stuff, stats and pictures at bottom of post]

This was part two of my trip last month to East Mermaid/Peak 3702 and Middle Mermaid/Peak 4065 . I still wanted to reach the highest of the group of three, but needed to try a different route due to the vegetation along the ridge that is so dense it may be impossible to do in a single day. I haven't found a single trip report for this peak, it doesn't have a page on Summitpost, and while it does have a page on Peakbagger (as Peak 4654), it only lists a single unsuccessful attempt in 2016 with no info on their route. This meant it was up to me to come up with a route based on looking at maps and not much else. I knew the Bear Canyon Trail was easy from my last trip, and looking at the maps it seemed that West Fork Bear Creek, which joins Bear Creek a few miles up the trail, was at least gradual in elevation gain. One sentence from an unrelated trip report I found suggested West Fork was passable, so I figured I'd give that a shot and take the creek as far upstream as possible, then look for a route to scramble up the north slope to the summit.

I started shortly before sunrise, walking the road to the south end of the Bear Canyon Trail and crossing West Fork San Gabriel River. A couple miles up I saw an occupied tent in one of the campsites along the trail, the only person I would see until getting back to the road at the end of the day. The last time I was here the trail required a lot of creek crossings and rock hopping, but I managed to stay dry. This time the water level was noticeably higher and I dipped a toe or foot in the water several times trying to jump across, even slipping twice and getting wet up to my knees.

The junction of Bear Creek and West Fork Bear Creek is a scenic spot for a quick break and snack, with large boulders, pools, and little falls. I was looking forward to leaving the main creek for one with less water, hoping I would have an easier time with the many inevitable crossings ahead. Leaving the Bear Canyon Trail and heading up West Fork, the first thing I noticed was what appeared to be a faint use trail. Spoilers, this is at least partially the result of illegal pot growing operations in the area, discussed in a separate thread. The canyon is otherwise very pleasant, with lush vegetation, more nice boulders, pools, little falls, etc. It's significantly narrower than the main Bear Canyon, but you never get too squeezed in. There is also a fair bit of poison oak in the first half. It's usually easy to avoid, but I kept long pants, long sleeves, and gloves on almost the entire time as a precaution. The route upstream is obvious, and the minor footpaths from our narco friends are actually fairly useful. There are very frequent stream crossings with a lot of rock and boulder hopping, I ended up getting my feet wet a few more times in the lower section. After finding the irrigation tubing I slowed down a little, trying to listen for people and generally being more alert to my surroundings. I suppose this added to the adventure, but was a little stressful when I thought I heard voices and movement at one point.

The upper half of the canyon narrows significantly, but the creek is quite small here and it's easy to stay parallel just up the slope. Faint use trails continue to be visible in many places along the way, though I didn't see anything more than that in this section. There are a couple small falls that are easily bypassed, and one quite scenic fall of maybe 30ft that required a steep traverse of the north slope, though there may be a better way if you looked around and started up further downstream. The final third of the canyon continues west while the main creek curves to the north. There was still a trickle of water along this way, with some occasional nice open areas of flat rock with small pools. The canyon walls become much less steep and the vegetation transitions from trees to shrubs, requiring some light bushwhacking to continue along the creek bed. I approached the saddle carefully because I was slightly concerned that the relatively open and level area might be a prime grow site. Luckily I didn't see anything at the saddle beyond a use trail continuing west, and finally got a proper view of West Mermaid.

From the saddle it's a fairly straightforward 700ft scramble up the north face with some minor bushwhacking and soft, loose soil with some rock in places. I aimed for the saddle and point slightly NE of the true summit because the route looked easier, which also provided some excellent views east towards Middle and East Mermaid, Smith Mountain, Hawkins Ridge, and Baldy off in the distance with a little snow still visible. This also put a somewhat treacherous looking rock formation between me and the summit, but it turned out to be pretty easy to find a short class 3 scramble to the top. It's a shame this isn't the true summit, because it's more fun to get to and looks much cooler! But of course the actual high point is a few hundred feet away through dense vegetation. After a short but intense bit of bushwhacking I made it to the summit, which is fairly level and vegetated, but has a small clearing with a chunk of crumbly rock sticking up. I saw no signs of visitation, and stacked up a few rocks laying around to make a small cairn.

The way back went much faster and other than cutting directly down the slope to where I started from the saddle to avoid repeating the worst bushwhacking, I followed the exact same route back. Back at the irrigation tubing I stopped for a while to cut it up so it was unusable, then a little downstream found the abandoned campsite of the growers. Once back on the main Bear Canyon Trail I gave up keeping my feet dry after one or two accidental foot dips and waded up to my ankles in numerous places instead of spending the time to try and manage dry crossings that could risk a fall anyway. I made it back to the trailhead shortly before sunset.

Some nervousness about the risk of running into illegal pot growers aside, it was an excellent trip. In some ways it was easier than I expected. Compared to my last time in these peaks there was almost no hard bushwhacking, which took over four hours on my last trip. Wet feet aside, the route up the canyon was quite scenic and pretty easy, with a gradual slope and no major obstacles along the way. That said, all the jumping around on rocks and over the creek does add up to some tired legs! I plan on going back before too long to place a summit register for the few hardy souls that bother to go out there, though I might try a different approach from the west to mix things up a little.

This trip was unusually costly for me in a number of minor ways. Let us remember their sacrifices:

• My pocket - The right thigh pocket of my pants was caught on a branch and ripped half off, I cut the rest off so it would stop catching on more branches.
  • Water bottle - One of my collapsible bottles developed a pinhole leak, it took me a while to realized my back wasn't just wet with sweat! I've had them for years and have plenty more, so not a big deal.
  • Sock - One of my thin toe sock liners, which look silly but have helped significantly reduce blisters for me, developed a hole in the big toe.
  • Shoe - After a month of suspense, a damaged eyelet of my trail runners finally broke, meaning I can't tie my shoe properly anymore. This was my fourth pair of these shoes and the second time this has happened, time to try a different model I guess.
  • My toenail - Both big toenails got pretty beat up way back in November on the San Gabriel Death March and had not fully recovered. When I took my socks off in the parking lot I found that my toenail had almost entirely separated. Gross. I guess being wet almost all day combined with lots of miles was too much for ol' Lefty.

Stats: 17.1mi, 13h12m, 3250ft gain/loss.

Trash found and packed out: Approximately 25(!) mylar balloons plus some other minor stuff, though once I found the abandoned camp/dump site my new balloon haul record didn't feel like much...
headsizeburrito

Bear Creek and West Fork Bear Creek junction

westmermaid01.jpg

Salamander!

westmermaid02.jpg

Starting up West Fork, faint use trail visible

westmermaid03.jpg

Lots of nice scenes like this in the first half of West Fork

westmermaid04.jpg

Nice green canyon walls

westmermaid05.jpg

Upper section narrows and becomes less rocky and more wooded

westmermaid06.jpg

Fungi are neat

westmermaid07.jpg

30ft fall requiring slightly sketchy bypass

westmermaid08.jpg

Final upper section leaves the canyon, gets brushy again

westmermaid09.jpg
headsizeburrito

Last little bit before saddle opens up with some nice bare rock

westmermaid10.jpg

Panorama from saddle facing West Mermaid

westmermaid11.jpg

Scrambling up towards summit

westmermaid12.jpg

Looking east near summit of West Mermaid

westmermaid13.jpg

Cool rock formation slightly NE of true summit

westmermaid14.jpg

True summit seen from the cool rocky part

westmermaid15.jpg

Made a little cairn on a rock in a small clearing at the summit

westmermaid16.jpg

Trip stats

westmermaid17.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Congratulations, you win the Eis Piraten trophy for being the first to summit West Mermaid, for setting a new personal record in packing out 25 mylar balloons, for discovering and destroying an illegal grow site, and for sharing your adventure in a great trip report. Very impressive!

700-EX.jpg
headsizeburrito

raw.gif
dima

Post by dima »

Nice trip! How would you say the difficulty of this one compares to the others? The TR makes it sound like you mostly just showed up and did it. No serious bushwhacking or death-defying maneuvers?
headsizeburrito

Yeah, it was surprisingly straightforward, the hardest part was really just trying to keep my feet dry (and totally failing). There was some minor bushwhacking in the upper section of the canyon, but it was quite mild and intermittent. The only real bushwhacking was the section between the cool rocky part of West Mermaid and the true summit, but that only took about 15 minutes. If you actually aimed directly for the true summit from the saddle you could avoid that dense section and just have a little moderate stuff for a few hundred feet on the north face. The only slightly death defying maneuver was traversing the steep slope to bypass the largest falls. That section was only 100 feet or so and you could probably find a better line if you spent a few extra minutes and were willing to go a little more off the direct line.

East Mermaid has more difficult terrain once you leave Bear Canyon, but probably averages out to being easier because the distance is quite short. West is certainly easier to get to than my route to Middle last time due to the crazy dense brush and hours of bushwhacking. There may be a way to Middle using the same approach I took for West (west fork in line with the summit then scramble directly south up to the peak), but it would require more and steeper scrambling, I didn't think to look at that area as I passed it by so I don't know if it would be reasonable. As far as difficulty of the just west fork section I'd say it's probably pretty comparable to SG East Fork between Iron Fork and Fish Fork, so pretty moderate with lots of crossing and rock hopping.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

That kind of 'yas' was kind of what I felt lol.
The west fork Bear... ...mostly its home to a bazillion flies and mosquitoes and/or overgrown. At least when I go!
I dont know if I'll attempt the peak again...its starting to go lower on my list already...but I dont say never.
headsizeburrito

Bugs were fine on the way out, but on the way back they were definitely active, and seemed to prefer aiming for my nose and eyes!

What is near the top of your to do list these days?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

headsizeburrito wrote: Bugs were fine on the way out, but on the way back they were definitely active, and seemed to prefer aiming for my nose and eyes!

What is near the top of your to do list these days?
Not much in the San Gabes. Cucamonga canyon ,pk 5995 Ross, and Twin East ridge have been on the list. A couple of streams to check out too.
Other than that, its even more beaches! and maybe the Los Padres.
headsizeburrito

I'm actually planning on checking out Cucamonga Canyon on Thursday, never been there before. Apparently the closure of the lower section ends that day and I haven't found anything about it being extended, but I'm not sure about the parking situation so I'm thinking of just starting from Icehouse and dropping in at the north end by the saddle before the switchbacks to Cucamonga Peak and seeing what I can see and get to without requiring actual technical gear and skills.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

headsizeburrito wrote:...I'm thinking of just starting from Icehouse and dropping in at the north end by the saddle before the switchbacks to Cucamonga Peak and seeing what I can see and get to without requiring actual technical gear and skills.
You should read Brennen's report. The Upper Narrows have some advanced rappelling, and he doesn't mention bypasses.
headsizeburrito

I've seen that before, thanks for the reminder. My plan is to take the canyon down as far as possible until I hit something I'd need gear for, then figure it out from there. That report doesn't mention bypasses, but I suppose he wouldn't be looking for them if he doesn't need them anyway. Plus, I'm more than willing (and kind of expecting) to fully leave the canyon in places to go up and over the ridges to either side as needed. I'm not set on staying entirely in the canyon, I just want to see what is doable and screw around a bit.