Whitney lotto

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Just wondering if there are 3 in a group should all of us register the dates? I heard they catch on if they see same names on form and kick you all out of lotto. How should we go about this? one person fill it out or all 3?
thanks!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Am I missing something? They make you provide the names of everyone in your party for the lottery?
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

yeah so one guy does all the dates with our names on it, then i do the same, then other person does the same. with all names, its 3 of us putting in for same dates same names. i guess we want to increase the odds.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

yobtaf wrote: yeah so one guy does all the dates with our names on it, then i do the same, then other person does the same. with all names, its 3 of us putting in for same dates same names. i guess we want to increase the odds.
Probably not necessary. I used to do Whitney every season for a few years. I never got denied.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Thanks! I prob over thinking it hahaha
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

Not saying it can't happen, but I never had a problem for years.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I got picked in the Whitney lottery for 12 consecutive years. The next three were failures. It’s become a LOT more popular in the last 6-7 years.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

If you don't get lucky in the permit lottery, you can always try for a "no show" permit at the visitor's center south of Lone Pine. Unclaimed day hike permits are handed out the day before and overnight permits the morning of. If more people want a permit than are available, then a mini-lottery is conducted on the spot. Since these "no show" permits are not guaranteed, a backup plan is necessary. Meysan Lake comes to mind.
Sean

Post by Sean »

What if everyone in the group enters the lottery with everyone's name included, but you each try for different dates? I don't think that should count as cheating.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

You don't have to go that far. I used to put a pretty long list of dates on my single application.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Hmm didnt get a permit. Picked mostly weekdays. Wait until April 1 and see what opens up, then next step just drive up and see.