EisPiraten Hike - Upper Eaton Loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

After reading prior reports, Madison (Uncle Rico) suggested a loop through upper Eaton Canyon for the EisPiraten group hike. He brought his wife, Kellie. Dima returned to the canyon, having done the loop before, to make sure we didn't get lost. Jeff (JeffH), Jeremiah (StonehillNews), and Cecelia (Girl Hiker) also joined the party. And Jim, a fellow member of the Rubio trail crew, along with Jeremiah, came out to have fun as well. We all met at the Eaton Saddle trailhead at 8am yesterday. It was still quite cold. Everyone wore pants and long-sleeves, except for me, because, you know, I've decided to be a "rebel just for kicks."

DSC03820.JPG

We hiked along the Mt. Lowe Road through Mueller Tunnel to Markham Saddle. It was going to be a beautiful day with clear skies, plus lots of trees and rocks. It was time to begin the cross-country portion of the adventure and drop from the saddle into the head of Eaton Canyon.

DSC03826.JPG

DSC03830.JPG

The drop-in was steep but manageable using use trails and a clear route through the trees and gully. We hit the main branch, which was filled with large boulders.

DSC03839.JPG

The canyon generally retained a wide profile, so it was easy to criss-cross the floor between rocky and brushy sections. We started to notice a few old metal parts to old things, though we couldn't figure out what they were exactly.

DSC03840.JPG

And, of course, when you get eight scramblers together in one place, all they want to do is pose for pictures.

DSC03845.JPG

Photo Feb 25, 09 42 03.jpg
(photo by Jeremiah)

Or walk across logs.

DSC03849.JPG

And avoid pools of water.

DSC03868.JPG

But perhaps the most common thing scramblers want to do is fetch balloons out of high tree branches.

DSC03879.JPG

Up to this point we contented ourselves with picking up the occasional birthday or Disney princess balloon off the ground. But when we noticed these particular specimens stuck high in the tree branch, there was absolutely no leaving the scene until this technical problem got solved. At first rocks flew threw the air with little effect. Jeremiah tried waving a huge fallen branch around, but that didn't work either. Finally, we allowed Dima to try his technique. Jeremiah helped tie a rock to the end of a rope, and Dima underhand tossed it up and over the high branch. With the rope in place, Dima and Jeff then pulled the balloons down successfully. It was perhaps the greatest half-hour struggle in canyon scrambling history.
DSC03880.JPG

After the triumph, we continued down-canyon, bypassing falls and cascades, and trying not to break our ankles while trudging through layers of fallen leaves.

DSC03881.JPG

DSC03864.JPG

20180225_095540.jpg
(Photo by Cecelia)

Finally we reached the end of the cross-country trek and hit the Idlehour Trail crossing. From here we climbed the scenic path up to Five Points.

DSC03938.JPG

DSC03945_stitch.jpg

At Five Points we counted up our balloon and other trash haul for the day.

DSC03951.JPG

In addition to the 30 odd balloons, we also packed out some cans and miscellaneous other garbage. Dima by far made out the best, having found a discarded balaclava and new pair of pants.

DSC03953.JPG

While Jeff, Jim, and I walked the Mt. Lowe Road back, Madison, Kellie, Jeremiah, Dima, and Cecelia headed up and over Mt. Lowe via the east trail. Cecelia wanted to see the new memorial scope for Lee Tracy.

20180225_172538.jpg

Back at Markham Saddle, we closed out the hike with an inspirational sunset.

DSC03956.JPG

For additional pictures, Dima has placed his here. Jeremiah's are here. And Jeff's are here.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Good deal....water flow looks low!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

It was a great day to be out in the mountains, thanks to all for participating. It was nice to put some real faces with the stories.

I uploaded most of my photos to a dropbox too - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/trufzuf5n8zf ... NBZya?dl=0
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I uploaded my pics to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Eaton%20Sa ... oop%20HIke

I have more but I didnt want to bore you guys with all the canyon and trail pics lol
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

It was perhaps the greatest half-hour struggle in canyon scrambling history.
Battle of the Balloon 2018, Never Forget

balloonneverforget.jpg

Looks like a fun time! I would have liked to join in but I work on Sundays. Nice work hauling out so much trash!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

headsizeburrito wrote:

balloonneverforget.jpg
Looks like a fun time! I would have liked to join in but I work on Sundays. Nice work hauling out so much trash!
? this was literally the scene in the bottom of the canyon for like 45 minutes.

I've got pics as well, but I think y'all get the point so I'll spare you the additional visual stimulation.

Fun day in the Gabes with great folks. Much good clean fun was had.??
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

You can check out this little slide-show/montage I made with a selection from everyone who shared photos:
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

Girl Hiker wrote: I uploaded my pics to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Eaton%20Sa ... oop%20HIke

I have more but I didnt want to bore you guys with all the canyon and trail pics lol
Hmm, link didn't work for me. Try clicking Share, and it should generate a special sharing link for you.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

What a cool trip. Great sunset photos, too. That balloon record may stand for a long time.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

stonehillnews wrote:
Girl Hiker wrote: I uploaded my pics to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Eaton%20Sa ... oop%20HIke

Hmm, link didn't work for me. Try clicking Share, and it should generate a special sharing link for you.
hmmmm really? I will check it out!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

stonehillnews wrote:You can check out this little slide-show/montage I made with a selection from everyone who shared photos:

I was hoping to see the entire balloon video too!
Donald Shimoda
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

JeffH wrote:
stonehillnews wrote:You can check out this little slide-show/montage I made with a selection from everyone who shared photos:

I was hoping to see the entire balloon video too!
They’re all in my Dropbox. Haven’t had time to splice together a super cut yet.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Hi Guys,
I tried to share the folder from Drop box. Please let me know if you you received it.
Thanks
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

headsizeburrito wrote:

balloonneverforget.jpg
haha! that's funny!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Girl Hiker wrote: Hi Guys,
I tried to share the folder from Drop box. Please let me know if you you received it.
Thanks
Whenever I go to your link it takes me to my own Dropbox page. You have to go to the little dots on the right, click share and then copy link.
Donald Shimoda