Some trips and stuff lately

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

What a great winter we’re having, ey guys? All the snow... at least people aren’t falling down Baldy Bowl amirite? Arright guys.

So no mountaineering, that sucks. Last year I wanted to climb Baldy in winter by bike but I was super tired once I was halfway down GRR. I wanted to sleep on the side of the road. I bailed, I think via Sunset Ridge road or something.

Anyway, I was gonna try again this year. Ride up, push the bike as far as I can, stash it, boots and crampons on and go up the bowl or whatever, then back. Ernie Back did this once and inspired me to do it. So far, not enough snow. Maybe this next series of rains will bring enough.

In lieu of bikeaneering, I’ve just been doing whatever ride I can that fits into my schedule, which is normally fri-Sunday. Last adventure had me ride my Surly up 39 to the Deer Flat or whatever area north of Crystal Lake, then up the trail to Windy Gap (pushed bike entire way). Pushed bike to Little Jimmy CG, then rode down the dirt road to the 2. Took the 2 east to Big Rock Canyon Rd at Vincent Gap, down to Bob’s Gap and then north to Lake Los Angeles. It felt like the 1980’s there. Ate at DJ’s Burgers, which was tasty. Got back on and rode east to just outside of Adelanto, where I slept behind a bush to hide from the wind. Got up after sunrise, packed up, and rode into Adelanto to pick up food and figure out which way to go north. I originally wanted to ride dirt roads past Edwards AFB, but wasn’t sure where the AFB boundary was and didn’t wanna try my luck, so I just took the 395 again. Put on a podcast and started putting miles in, with a decent headwind keeping things slow and sporting. The winds weren’t as bad as the time I rode north through Santa Clarita into the desert to just past Willow Springs, where it was so strong I could barely even walk with my bike. Amanda picked me up before I reached the windmills, and we went and ate and hung out. That was the worst wind I’ve experienced on a bike trip so far.

Arright, so I keep going and get to Kramer Junction. They’re working on rerouting the 58 or something to the west, so there’s a shitload of dust in the air and the winds are crankin hard. I take a break at Burger King and buy a chicken sammich or something. Continuing on uphill slightly to where I’ll meet my buddy’s to camp near Randsburg. I make it to our spot first, with an hour or so to cook and relaxed
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I’m using an iPad so I can’t edit my post after a certain point. I don’t wanna try to explain it cause it’ll just piss me off so I’m replying. Ok so I got to the damn campsite around 340pm, cooked, and chilled until my buddies got there. We hung out and partied, etc.

Total was 140 something miles and 11,000ft gain/loss or something.

Next trip I can remember was yesterday. I rode from West Covina to Chino Hills SP, where entry is free if you’re not in a motor vehicle. Rode down Aliso Something road in there to the 91, where I jumped onto the Santa Ana River Trail and went south until Taft Avenue. The city or county or whoever is doing something about the tent city near Angel Stadium, so it’s closed for a bit. I decided not to play annoying navigation simulator 2k18 trying to reach the beach, so I just took Taft to Ball to Harbor, and then Harbor to other streets and back home. Dunno how far as I am not keeping track of numbers anymore. I’m happier that way. Less bullshit to get in the way of the experience. Always checking Facebook and instaslam and strava and all this shit, I just wanna go where phones don’t work and the only ones there are those you’re with, or nobody.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yup, can’t move the cursor down to the last line of text in the editor in Tapatalk on my iPad, which is my computer.

That’s all anyway. Maybe I’ll write something up again another time, and with photos too! Not even gonna try to post pics on here.

Hope all is well with everyone. Cheers