EisPiraten's Group Hike - February

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

We've done this a couple times before, so let's do it again! Members and their friends are invited to join the EisPiraten group hike. Let me know if you prefer February 24 or 25, and throw down some trip ideas for consideration and debate! Let's keep it to around ten miles with 2-3k gain. Also, we've done Waterman and Baldy, so those are off the table. Given the probability of high-elevation snow in February, we should do something in the front range.

I'm feeling a little better than before, so I might be a little less of a drag-ass this time around. But still the pace will be casual, and I won't leave anyone behind. So feel free to join if you can manage a moderate hike distance and gain.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Feb 25th. I'm leading a hike on the 24th and I don't want to miss this one
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I'm down. Right now I can go either day.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I want to go too! Either day for me. I think that means Cecelia has the only official vote.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

To get the conversation started about hike options, I'll throw out Eaton Saddle-->Upper Eaton Canyon-->Idlehour Trail-->East Mt. Lowe Trail-->Eaton Saddle. Don't know mileage of gain, but it seems to be in the range you mention Sean.

Previous TRs by:
Dima: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7483&p=55968&hilit= ... yon#p55968
David R: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6282&p=51218&hilit= ... yon#p51218
Sean

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote: To get the conversation started about hike options, I'll throw out Eaton Saddle-->Upper Eaton Canyon-->Idlehour Trail-->East Mt. Lowe Trail-->Eaton Saddle.
By my calculations this option would be about 8.5 miles (around 2 of which are XC) with 2800' of gain. (That includes a secret side trip.) It sounds like a class 2 route, judging by the descriptions. Also, if anyone needs to grab Lowe or Markham, we could incorporate those peaks into the plan.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I don't care what we do. As long as it involves some rock scrambling, bush wacking and kicking my butt!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Okay, let's do the Upper Eaton Canyon loop on February 25 (Sunday) and meet at Eaton Saddle by 8am. Again, this hike will involve about two miles of off-trail scrambling inside a canyon. The group will stick together while off-trail. So let me know if you plan to come. Otherwise we won't know to wait for you at the start.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Where is Eaton Saddle? I live on the east part of the San Gabe’s and don’t get over that way much. :)
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote:Where is Eaton Saddle?

Eaton Saddle is the trailhead located about 2.3 miles up the Mt. Wilson Road from the ACH intersection at Red Box. There is turnout parking on either side of the road. No Adventure Pass is needed, because the trailhead does not have any facilities. It's called Eaton Saddle because it's the pass from Eaton Canyon into the West Fork, located between San Gabriel Peak and Mt. Wilson. The spot is located correctly in Google Maps. You can request directions to "Eaton Saddle Trailhead." Or we could meet in La Canada and caravan.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Thanks for the update. Google maps can't calculate directions from home for me but the map is good enough so that I can find it.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Reminder that this hike starts this Sunday at 8am at the Eaton Saddle Trailhead along Mt. Wilson Road. If anyone wants to carpool/caravan, I'll be at the Verdugo Park and Ride (I-210/CA-2 interchange) by 7:15am. I might have room for one or two more depending on whether some personal friends join us.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I plan to be at the trailhead by 8, assuming an hour drive from Claremont.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Okay. We'll be in my Honda Pilot.