Baden-Powell

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I took advantage of the mild winter and hiked from Vincent Gap to Baden-Powell today--without spikes. Microspikes would have been useful for the last mile, but I forgot to bring them. I also forgot to bring my phone and my camera. Luckily there was a notepad and pen in my backpack, so I do have some pictures to share of my adventure.

I call this one "Pine cone, needles, and a benchmark."

IMG_20180218_212640173.jpg

This one is called "Lamel Spring trickling through the rocks I placed in front of it."

IMG_20180218_212657746.jpg

Here we have "Trail amongst the trees."

IMG_20180218_212806619.jpg

Last and probably least: "Summit flag with Baldy in the distance partially concealed by a band of clouds and a ridiculous attempt at sketching Pine Mountain Ridge."

IMG_20180218_212724611.jpg

Basically it was a beautiful day on Baden-Powell. The sun kept things bright, but the wind seemed to have more power over the temperature, which stayed around freezing much of the time. LA Sheriff's SAR also spent the day on Baden-Powell, though no rescues were needed. One SAR member kindly checked on me at the summit. He probably noticed my mismatched gloves and horrible sketch of the summit and thought that I might be suffering from altitude sickness. I assured him that I was mentally sound--I mean physically okay--and we had fun taking turns slipping on the ice as we descended.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Nice pics. I thought the benchmark said West Baldy.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

I wonder if SAR would be more useful checking on people before they went up instead of at the top? Either way glad they are being proactive as there have been multiple rescues on that peak recently.

Are you selling prints of those fine works?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: Nice pics. I thought the benchmark said West Baldy.
Hmm? It was a non-summit mark a little off the beginning of the trail. I happened upon it by chance.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

headsizeburrito wrote: I wonder if SAR would be more useful checking on people before they went up instead of at the top?
They could have been doing checks in several locations. I saw more SAR lower down on the trail.
Are you selling prints of those fine works?
You can have the original if you send me a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

WOW! you are quite the artist!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I'm not taking a camera with me the next time I go out Sean. I'm just taking you. ?