San Gabriel Dam Trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I can't find any write-ups about this trail, which is a bit odd, because it's clearly visible from San Gabriel Canyon Road. The lack of interest in it, however, could be due to its steepness, obscure trailhead, or also the fact that it dead-ends at the San Gabriel Dam, so that after dropping 1650' in 1.8 miles, you then have to backtrack up the ridge. But if you're looking for a quick class 2 workout, this is a fun adventure with excellent views.

To access the top of this route, drive up Glendora Mountain Road. From the intersection with Sierra Madre Ave., go up for 7.9 miles and look for a large turnout on the left at a bend in the road. If you reach mile marker 6.50, then you've gone about a quarter-mile too far.

San Gabriel Dam Trail - 1995 Topo.jpg

At the east end of the turnout, hop over the berm and find the trail which follows an overgrown firebreak. The nice path gently rolls along, descending a little bit to Point 3007.

DSC03121.JPG

DSC03126.JPG

DSC03124.JPG

At 3007 the nice trail vanishes, and you must pick the correct use path. The firebreak ridge turns to the right. If you continue straight, you'll end up dropping into Steele Taco Canyon, and unless you have serious rappelling skills and gear, you don't want to be in there.

After the turn, there is a stretch of relatively flat ridgeline.

DSC03131_stitch.jpg

DSC03139.JPG

Then there is a slight left turn, where the trail becomes clear again, but this time it consists of a series of very steep drops with poor footing on potentially loose sand. Though recent rains had softened the soil and made life a little easier during my trip.

I stopped a little before the water tank above the dam, sat down, enjoyed the view, and ate my lunch.

DSC03162.JPG

DSC03157_stitch.jpg

I was slow going back up and spent several rest breaks taking in the pre-sunset vistas.

DSC03173_stitch.jpg

DSC03202-001.JPG
DSC03165.JPG
DSC03153_stitch.jpg
DSC03152.JPG
DSC03141.JPG
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Interesting...could you see the main falls of Steele Taco?
Gene
Old Dam Man

Post by Gene »

Did you come across any large benchmarks cemented in corrugated pipe? There used to be some special benchmarks around the dam to precisely measure movement of the dam. The trail may have been used to access the benchmarks.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

AW wrote: Interesting...could you see the main falls of Steele Taco?
Nah, the view is blocked by a subsidiary ridge.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Gene wrote: Did you come across any large benchmarks cemented in corrugated pipe?
No, but I wasn't looking for benchmarks. There are none listed on my maps. The 1940 topo shows a spot elevation along the ridge at 1758', but all the BMs near the reservoir are along the San Gabriel Canyon Road. Also, the firebreak could have destroyed any old marks atop the ridge.

I did happen upon a metal post on the side of the firebreak. Though it lacked markings.

DSC03169.JPG
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice find. It looks like you could walk right out onto the dam.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote: Nice find. It looks like you could walk right out onto the dam.
It seems you could, but I can't say for certain. I didn't snoop around the tank, where the trail hits a paved road. There were a couple workers down there about a hundred feet away.
Gene
Old Dam Man

Post by Gene »

Sean wrote:
Gene wrote: Did you come across any large benchmarks cemented in corrugated pipe?
No, but I wasn't looking for benchmarks. There are none listed on my maps. The 1940 topo shows a spot elevation along the ridge at 1758', but all the BMs near the reservoir are along the San Gabriel Canyon Road. Also, the firebreak could have destroyed any old marks atop the ridge.

I did happen upon a metal post on the side of the firebreak. Though it lacked markings.

It may well have been destroyed, these were special benchmarks used before the advent of laser and satellite measurements. There were several located around the dam and on the dam itself.

The water tank was installed when the dam was under construction. The water was used to wash off the foundation bedrock. It once had an inflatable roof when it was used for drinking water. It was a great trampoline if you were not afraid of heights.