Mt. Markham and San Gabriel Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Since I've been a bit of a sluggard lately and haven't kept pace of my EisPiraten duties and responsibilities, I figured I'd better start the new year off right by posting a TR. Nothing new here that you haven't already seen, but my daughter and I went out yesterday for a trip to the summits of Mt. Markham and San Gabriel Peak. It was cool and windy, and it was the first day that kind of felt like winter might be around the corner.

The parking area at Eaton Saddle was jam packed with cars so we had to park up the road a bit and walk back to the saddle. We strode along the fire road to the Markham saddle and then veered off onto the Mt. Lowe trail to the saddle between Lowe and Markham. Encountered lots of people on the trail and a clump of bro's at the saddle eating burritos and playing a ukulele. We hastily started up the use trail to the summit of Markham only to have the ukulele bro's follow our lead and start up behind us. Where the path (which is really almost an established trail at this point) steepens before you attain the long, flat summit, the bro's backed off and beat a retreat to the summit of Lowe to annoy somebody else while we hogged the solitude of Markham all to ourselves.

After snacks and a healthy does of philosophy, literature, and politics, we started back down the ridge as a helo came over Eaton Saddle heading south. I surmised with no basis whatsoever, but a healthy does of prejudice, that it was headed for the Huntington Medical Center with a motorcyclist who had been scraped off the ACH further north.

Anyhoo, back at the Markham saddle, I slipped into the brush to water the foliage. Pee rags abounded. I understand differences in plumbing, but drip dry folks. Or pick up after yourselves for Gawd's sake.

The trail to San Gabriel is in fine shape. Immediately below the summit, a pair of blue, soiled skivvies hung unceremoniously from a tree branch trail side. I didn't take a picture because I was dry-heaving too much. Atop, the wind began to pick up and the sky to the north began to darken. The cool, winter-like weather was a super enjoyable change from the perpetual summer we're having.

The trek back to Eaton Saddle was uneventful. Still a fair number of cars when we returned late in the afternoon.

Some pics:
27_Twin Peaks from San Gabriel Peak Summit.JPG
26_Mt. Waterman from San Gabrlel Peak.JPG
23_DTLA from San Gabriel Peak.JPG
21_Santa Catalina from San Gabriel Peak.JPG
17_Helo Above Eaton Canyon.JPG
10_Bear Canyon from Markham Ridgline.JPG
7_San Gabriel Peak from Markham.JPG
6_Santiago Peak fromMarkham.JPG
5_View East from Mt. Markham.JPG
2_Summit Cairn on Markham.JPG
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pictures. Are adventure passes still a thing?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

HikeUp wrote: Nice pictures. Are adventure passes still a thing?
I dunno, but I always buy one. Cheap insurance.

Yeah, they got me where they want me. ?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Looks like another fun trip in that area. How did you shoot downtown from there with clouds?

I always buy an adventure pass, too, even through they are mostly not required. The last ruling I remember said only if facilities are used (benches, restrooms, etc.).
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Uncle Rico wrote: Since I've been a bit of a sluggard lately and haven't kept pace of my EisPiraten duties and responsibilities, I figured I'd better start the new year off right by posting a TR.
Nice report for the new year. I'm also behind on posting as well. Btw tmi on The pee rags lol
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

It seems that the helicopter uses Eaton Saddle as their main route from all points ACH-to-Huntington. Here they are heading back north from Huntington (taken from Occidental with Markham's south edifice as backdrop)...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Well, if that pic doesn't show up then here is a direct link...

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I hate tap-a-crap
dima

Post by dima »

HikeUp wrote: Well, if that pic doesn't show up then here is a direct link...

Not to be pedantic, or anything, but that's not a direct link to the image. That's a link to some javascript bullshit that gives you the image if you ask it nicely. A direct link to the image looks like this:

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

dima wrote: Not to be pedantic,
Too late. It was a copy+paste of the url that was in my browser's address bar. I expected the url to be visible, not an embedded version of the webpage it was pointing at.
Hence the I hate tap-a-crap comment. I do hate every aspect of this piece of shit platform.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

tekewin wrote: Looks like another fun trip in that area. How did you shoot downtown from there with clouds?
Oh you know me teke, Always lugging that big damn camera around with me everywhere I go.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

HikeUp wrote:I hate tap-a-crap
I second that!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

girlhiker70 wrote:
HikeUp wrote:I hate tap-a-crap
I second that!
Tap-A-Talk is certainly an awkward, non-intuitive interface even if it is free.

What about https://www.phpbb.com/ used on the Mt. San Jacinto board? It claims to be free. Of course, somebody would have to handle the migration.
dima

Post by dima »

The issue is not the migration or the cost (I'm happy to host the thing and do the migration myself). The issue is that we can't move and take the existing search engine links with us. This can only be done with the blessing of the provider. If somebody knows any of these people (they're in Santa Monica), please tell me.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Ukelele bros eating burritos on Markham. Soiled skivvies hanging on San Gabriel.

Hrm...
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote:....Soiled skivvies hanging on San Gabriel.

Hrm...
At least he didn't post that in the "Now it's Mine!" thread.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda