Day 3 THE HOODOOS AND THE FAIRYLAND LOOP TRAIL, BRYCE CANYON NATIONAL PARK

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

On this day, I met the group at the North Campground General Store. I must say that the campground is very nice. Showers and clean restrooms are available for use. The plan was to do the Fairyland Loop Trail. An 8 mile hike with about 1725” elevation gain.

Cloudy skies and chance of rain was in the forecast so we were prepared. The drive into Bryce Canyon was so beautiful!
20170927_081320.jpg
20170927_081811.jpg

The trail begins as a flat trek as you slowly ascend around the HooDoos.
20170927_093942.jpg

The trail was majestic! I have never seen so many HooDoos in one area. The beautiful orangish sandstone formations were a sight for sore eyes!

There are many signs posted not to go off trail or climb onto the Hoodoos and this made it very tempting especially for me because I love to climb. Anyways, there are a couple of small trails within this majestic Fairyland loop/Rim Trail. We hiked a few others and through Tower Bridge trail.

Tower Bridge
I found 3 benchmarks that day which were not very hard to find.
20170927_103003.jpg
20170927_123025.jpg
20170927_114828.jpg
20170927_110926.jpg
20170927_095554.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I like that bridge picture with the red rocks peeking out behind - makes you want to go explore more.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

That's a weird benchmark. Usually they don't have slogans on them.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I appreciate your posts on Bryce. Our family went this summer and a lot of the scenery looks familiar, but you have done a lot more than we did. I'd like to go back in a few years, though there are three other Utah parks I haven't seen.

One of the things I wanted to do but didn't was hike to the Sinking Ship. It is the elevated peak in your photo after the Tower Bridge. I couldn't find any beta on it, but I think you could avoid most of the hoodoos and cliffs by going north from Fairyland Point, then curving back south.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

tekewin wrote: I appreciate your posts on Bryce. Our family went this summer and a lot of the scenery looks familiar, but you have done a lot more than we did. I'd like to go back in a few years, though there are three other Utah parks I haven't seen.

One of the things I wanted to do but didn't was hike to the Sinking Ship. It is the elevated peak in your photo after the Tower Bridge. I couldn't find any beta on it, but I think you could avoid most of the hoodoos and cliffs by going north from Fairyland Point, then curving back south.
The sinking ship sounds really cool. I definitely want to visit the other parks as well. I also want to see one place that has the house on fire.