Mt. Wilson Fire

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

It looks like this fire started before 4am on the Toll Road below the Wilson summit. I hope it was accidentally caused by an early-morning worker or downed power line, because it's worrisome to wonder whether there is an arsonist out there who tried to take out the Wilson complex.

walker

Post by walker »

I could see it starting to spot in upper reaches of Eaton Canyon this morning when I dropped my son off at school. Hopefully they'll get a handle on this with all the communications infrastructure at stake right above it.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I've been watching this all day from Glendale, 7th floor. Basically it burned the saddle between Harvard and Wilson and down into Winter Creek Headwaters I think. Seems to be very minimal smoke now at 4:30pm, Oct. 17th, 2017.

eyewitness news...out!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

45% contained now.

Do they usually release a map of the burned area after the fire stops? It would be interesting to see which trails were affected.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thanks. It looks like it's been limited to a relatively small area so far.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Oh, man. It looks like he might have torched himself.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

The missing person was last spotted in Sylmar at 11:30pm Monday. So then if he goes to MtWilson from Sylmar between 4:30am and 5 Tues morning, he doesnt arrive near Wilson until 5am at a minimum Tues morning. The fire was already known at 4:30am....http://www.radiomagonline.com/industry/ ... lson/39321

All in all, not much to go on IMO. The search commenced and found these remains, but where is his car?
Sean

Post by Sean »

From the ABC report:
Matthew Huerta's family members, who are from Sylmar, said Huerta left home Tuesday morning, presumably to go jogging.

His phone was tracked to the Mount Wilson area, and his car was also found there.

Family members said they found a letter in Huerta's room. His sister told Eyewitness News the letter indicated that Huerta was thinking of hurting himself.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

AW wrote: The missing person was last spotted in Sylmar at 11:30pm Monday. So then if he goes to MtWilson from Sylmar between 4:30am and 5 Tues morning, he doesnt arrive near Wilson until 5am at a minimum Tues morning. The fire was already known at 4:30am....http://www.radiomagonline.com/industry/ ... lson/39321

All in all, not much to go on IMO. The search commenced and found these remains, but where is his car?
Why are you assuming he left Sylmar between 4:30 am and 5 am on Tuesday? He could've left anytime after 11:30 pm on Monday, giving him ample time to get on the mountain.

As for his car, it was found in the Mt. Wilson area: http://abc7.com/charred-body-found-near ... e/2551292/

But here's the important part: according to the article above, "Family members said they found a letter in Huerta's room. His sister told Eyewitness News the letter indicated that Huerta was thinking of hurting himself."

Given all of that, it seems reasonable to think he might've started the fire -- either on purpose or accidentally.
Sean

Post by Sean »

The fire started at 3:54 AM according to the LA Times.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Nah.....I dont like the media version of the family statement at all.
It has way too much conspiracy in it.
He's near MtWilson they say. I dont know what that means to them.
The fire was started at the summit...not near Mount Wilson.
The parking lot of the summit is not "near" Mount Wilson, its on Mount Wilson....who describes that parking lot as "near" Mount Wilson?
Except its not at Mount Wilson is it? I dont want to hear that he left at midnight from Sylmar to Pasadena, then ran up to Wilson to set a fire in 4 hours.
Supply me with a solid source that his usual jogging spot was the summit of MtWilson. and thats where his car was found....and then we can go that direction.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

AW wrote: Nah.....I dont like the media version of the family statement at all.
It has way too much conspiracy in it.
He's near MtWilson they say. I dont know what that means to them.
The fire was started at the summit...not near Mount Wilson.
The parking lot of the summit is not "near" Mount Wilson, its on Mount Wilson....who describes that parking lot as "near" Mount Wilson?
Except its not at Mount Wilson is it? I dont want to hear that he left at midnight from Sylmar to Pasadena, then ran up to Wilson to set a fire in 4 hours.
Supply me with a solid source that his usual jogging spot was the summit of MtWilson. and thats where his car was found....and then we can go that direction.
I've seen the local news make inaccurate or vague statements when it comes to identifying locations in the ANF. Us hikers know it better than they do.

And nobody is claiming he started the fire. I think it's reasonable to investigate him being the possible culprit though. I would imagine the authorities are doing that.
Sean

Post by Sean »

He probably had to park outside the gate. Hence the "near Mt. Wilson" description. Also, I was up at 4am watching the initial live helicopter coverage. It looked like the fire started on the toll road below the summit, not from the parking lot area.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Reported as confirmed on Twitter from close persons yesterday.
So now the info is he was missing since Monday morning, not Tuesday.
Plus his car and phone were at MtWilson parking lot.
https://twitter.com/fredomendoza7
"If you’re just coming to the potluck for the media, dont fucking come. And if the news shows up, don’t say shit. I don’t even know what"
No update from the media?
Sean

Post by Sean »

AW wrote:...the info is he was missing since Monday morning, not Tuesday.
He tweeted several times on Monday (10/16) before disappearing late that night/early the next morning (10/17). He wrote that he loved his family. Then this was the final tweet for his friends.

In prior tweets it sounds like he recently felt lonely.

The GIF depicts a woman drinking at home alone with her cat.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Also, here is a screenshot from the initial helicopter footage.

ABC tried overlapping their Skymap tech, which I believe is not quite accurate. The set of lights at the top are fire engines in the big parking lot. So the road lines below are misaligned, and should have been adjusted upward, which would put the fire above and below the toll road, which crosses below the tower complex.
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

The boy who died was my dad's friends brother. :(
Sean

Post by Sean »

jeko1034 wrote: The boy who died was my dad's friends brother.
Very sad. Did they ever figure out what happened?
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Sean wrote:
jeko1034 wrote: The boy who died was my dad's friends brother.
Very sad. Did they ever figure out what happened?
It was a suicide.