Where to get away from roads in the lower 48

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
dima

Post by dima »

This came up in conversation, so I did another pole of inaccessibility computation to find the further point from all roads in the contiguous US. Take a guess about where it is, and read this:

https://notes.secretsauce.net/notes/2017 ... us-us.html
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I knew cause I was a member of the Loon forum, when I was researching Yellowstone hikes. I think its the same winner if you include trails.
Its now also the most developed 'wilderness' around. A lot of guided glamping there...via horse, boat, and helicopter. I dont want to know how it is today with all the 'loving' its got.
Every modern hiker guru worth a penny wants in on the place to boast and beat their chest as to what a mountain person they are. Yellowstone is pretty much the height of insta cred for the subject of wilderness.
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

dima

Post by dima »

That's interesting. They're clearly using a different dataset (which may be better or worse; just different). When I was doing this, I don't recall seeing gaps North of Las Vegas or West of Tucson. Just checked, and there're clear dirt roads in both. I'm sure my dataset (OSM) is worse in some ways too. It's a fun thing to figure out.