Basic Hiking Skills

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

FOLLOWING A TRAIL

This initial post offers advice to hikers who have trouble following a trail. By "trail" I don't mean unofficial use paths or animal tracks. I mean well-established, official trails intended for average hikers. I'll get to the unofficial, tough stuff some other time. For now, let's focus on the very basics.

1. Focus On The Trail

In order to follow a trail, you first need to be focusing on it. Unfocused (or distracted) individuals often find themselves lost or worse. It is critical that you maintain a sufficient level of focus necessary for staying on the path. This is skill numero uno. Don't forget it!

How do I focus on the trail, you ask? Well, it does take some effort. If it were effortless, nobody would ever get lost. So, here is my first tip: at least TRY to focus! Physically look at the trail and take note of its appearance. Is it paved or unpaved? How wide is it? Is it clear or a little brushy? Etc. Basically what sort of condition is the trail in? What does it look like? This is important, because it helps you to know what to expect when you're attempting to follow the trail later on, and also to identify transitions in the trail type. Remember, knowledge is key.

Second tip: PRACTICE focusing! Every once in awhile stop and concentrate on that thing you're following. Train your brain to automatically check for the trail. In time trail-recognition will become a habit, and you'll be less likely to wander off-trail without realizing it.

2. Memorize The Trail System

Sometimes an area has multiple trails, and it might be easy to take the wrong one. So, in addition to focusing on the trail, you must also know which trail you're on, and how to backtrack through the system, at all times. This might require you to memorize landmarks, place markers, or use navigational tools, especially if trail signage is missing, non-existent, or inadequate. Basically, don't walk beyond your range of knowledge and skills. And remember to stop and make mental notes of your location and orientation at junctions and turns.

3. Scout Unfamiliar Trails

If you are relatively new to hiking, or have trouble following trails, do not plan complex multi-trail hikes without first carefully scouting each path in both directions. Unfamiliar, long loops, while enticing on paper, can be unwise in the real world, because you are unnecessarily increasing the amount of unknown terrain, and thus the potential for mistakes in navigation. It is safer to first go out and back on each trail, until you are sufficiently familiar with the various landmarks and turns and feel confident about taking on the more complex adventure or loop route.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Interesting thread you are starting, Sean. It is truly amazing how easy it is to get lost on trails. Not completely lost, but lost enough to burn up a lot of extra time and energy. I went hiking today in Cuyamaca State Park. The problem there is that there are too many trails! You can't seem to hike for more than a mile or two without coming to a trail junction, resulting in much time spent squinting at maps and trail signs. Unless you have memorized or are very familiar with a complex trail system.