Impromptu Akawie to Winston Traverse

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

You can always change your mind, but not your footwear.

Cecelia was going to take the day off. But when she heard me preparing for a hike, she decided to come along and keep an eye on her man. I had no particular plan. Usually that means I drive up the Angeles Crest and await inspiration. And that was indeed the case this time.

Shortly after leaving La Canada we bumped up against a large caravan of slow-moving Volkswagens. They controlled the flow of traffic until Chilao, where, I guess, they intended to have an outdoor convention.

Continuing along Cecelia suggested doing something around Buckhorn--always a great area to spend a day. Plus, she hadn't summited Mt. Akawie, so that became the plan.

Akawie is pretty easy (0.8 miles one-way with 420' of gain), so I packed light and wore my hiking sandals. It's a Sierra Club peak, which means I don't need to bother with approach details.

The top contained a bunch of boulders. We could see where a benchmark had once been.

The missing mark disappointed Cecelia. I tried to cheer her up by finding a neat rock formation, which we dubbed Potato Chip Crumb Rock.

On the way back I looked across the canyon toward Winston Peak and felt an idea pop into my mind.

I had never done the cross-country traverse between Akawie and Winston (2.1 miles with 1100' of gain). Looking at the topo map, the route seemed okay. Nothing horrible. The only problem was that I had left my boots in the car. Oh well, the sandals would have to suffice.

We hit some steep sections and did the old pine needle shuffle, trying not to slip and fall on our butts while dropping about 900' of elevation. Eventually we made the bottom of upper Cooper Canyon. A little water still pooled and trickled in the creek bed. Utilizing deer paths we escaped up the opposite bank and hit the Pacific Crest Trail.

(Looking back at our descent route from Akawie.)

From the PCT we found an easy way to access the east ridge of Winston Peak.

(XC traverse route in red.)

The east ridge was great, with a nice mix of moderate to steep grades. We enjoyed some shade under big trees and among periodic boulder fields.

I took note of an impressive cloud formation to the north, which later that evening turned into a powerful thunderstorm that crossed the high desert.

By the time we reached Winston Peak, my feet had taken a small amount of abuse. Rocks, sand, and twigs routinely fought their way into my ill-considered footwear and caused quite a bit of mischief. I spent a good twenty minutes or so with a sharp pebble buried in the bottom of my index toe. Yeah, it hurt, but sometimes you just don't want to bother emptying your sandals for the umpteenth time. One rock in the foot isn't worth the effort. Two, maybe. Three, definitely. This is the law of the hiking sandals.

Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

It was a fun hike with beautiful views all around
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Great pics! Lots of neat stuff up there. As the PCT gets toward Eagle's Roost (Rattlesnake Cyn, IIRC) there are some pretty early-season waterfalls adjacent to the trail.

Here's that thunderstorm, gearing up for the light show:

And some action over Baden-Powell:

And a short vid of the light show, viewed from the Jackson Lake Trail (couldn't figure out how to embed vids, so did a link):
Thunderstorm Over Palmdale (YouTube)
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Like! Sometimes the best plans are no plans. Hard to go wrong in that area, unless you run into a Sasquatch den.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Winston A. Sasquatch, Esquire.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote:Winston A. Sasquatch, Esquire.

The O.G. Sasquatch.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hmmm...Winston photobombed you.
1.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote:Hard to go wrong in that area, unless you run into a Sasquatch den.
I'm always prepared with a bag of Sasquatch cookies--you know, for the kids. The trick to making friends with any legendary beast is: bring snacks for its children.

Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote:Hmmm...Winston photobombed you.
Image That dude's so funny. Gets me every time!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

HikeUp wrote: Hmmm...Winston photobombed you.
I missed that the first time. Scary.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Tom Kenney wrote:As the PCT gets toward Eagle's Roost (Rattlesnake Cyn, IIRC) there are some pretty early-season waterfalls adjacent to the trail.
Never been in there because of the closure order. Got any pictures? I've only seen Cooper Canyon Falls in that area. Thanks for the video of the light show. Neat!
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Sean wrote:
Tom Kenney wrote:As the PCT gets toward Eagle's Roost (Rattlesnake Cyn, IIRC) there are some pretty early-season waterfalls adjacent to the trail.
Never been in there because of the closure order. Got any pictures? I've only seen Cooper Canyon Falls in that area. Thanks for the video of the light show. Neat!
Sorry, no pics. This was nearly 35 years ago, when I did my first long-term hike with BSA. We did east-to-west starting at Vincent Gap. I just recall that the section descending from Eagle's Roost was very scenic. We didn't see any samsquantches, but I smelled something really funky when we got to Cooper Cyn CG!

If you search YouTube for 'thunderstorm palmdale lancaster' there are some better vids of the same storm. I only had my phone cam. It's hard to tell, but there was about twice as much activity as visible in my vid. Lightning going off about every 0.5-2.0 seconds.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

HikeUp wrote: Hmmm...Winston photobombed you.
haha!! I acturally saw him but didn't tell Sean
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sasquatch is here. Or at least in Fresno. http://kmph.com/news/local/is-bigfoot-b ... the-valley
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote:Sasquatch is here. Or at least in Fresno. http://kmph.com/news/local/is-bigfoot-b ... the-valley
“The [five Bigfoots] scattered and the one [carrying] the pig was running so fast it didn’t see an irrigation pipe and it tripped, with the pig flying over,” says Gonzalez.
I'll believe in Sasquatch...

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Doing the Winston!
winston.gif
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Squatchy does monitor the forum right? With the left behind cell phones and whatnot. I bet it already has iphone 10.
Was that log that displaced hikers at 3 points Squatchy's work or just a coincidence?
The sign to Twin Peaks saddle kept getting knocked down now that I think about it.
Its lasted as far as I know , after I put some rocks to stabilize it...so if the sign is down again, this is not natural :)
Might want to consider turning back if so ;)