TAHQUITZ PEAK

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

On Memorial Day, Sean and I drove to Idyllwild. I've been wanting to bag the Tahquitz Peak for quite some time now and Sean happily obliged.

After a late start, a 2 hour drive, and many, many, stops later we finally arrived at San Jacinto Rangers Station.

We parked at the South Ridge trailhead.

The trail was soooo beautiful! We were surrounded by tall green trees, beautiful blue skies and fantastic views all around.

We were surrounded by huge rocks and boulders that gave me lots of opportunities to climb on.

The view from the other side of the window.

Starting from the South Ridge trail is only 3.6 miles to the summit. It starts off as a gentle climb up a well-maintained trail with switchbacks.
The views are spectacular and breath-taking.

As you get closer to the peak, the last 12 switchbacks and (yes I counted them) get steeper and seem as if they go on forever.

Finally! Tahquitz Pk 8846'

I found 2 BM's.

There is an historic Fire lookout tower.

More views from the summit.

One of the fun rocks I climbed on during the descent. Sean is at the bottom.

The beautiful Tahquitz Peak!

The South Ridge trail is a very pretty trail and for me lots of fun ascending the steep ridge. We met some locals on the peak who said that the South Ridge Trail was the toughest trail they ever climbed and that they would never do it again. A few of them started from Humber Park.

Total miles 7.2 with a little over 2350' gain.
Sean

Post by Sean »

girlhiker70 wrote: One of the fun rocks I climbed on during the descent. Sean is at the bottom.
Cecelia wanted a picture of her jumping atop the rock. I made her jump about five times before getting a decent shot.

JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote:
Cecelia wanted a picture of her jumping atop the rock. I made her jump about five times before getting a decent shot.
That shot is worth the wait!

One of these days I'll get to that peak too. Maybe combine it with a San J day whenever I do a 3 saints week.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda