San Tony Classic (NBB>NF>SART)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
jonaholson

Post by jonaholson »

Wrightwood > Pine via North Back Bone (9648') > Fish Fork > Baldy via North Face (10064') > West Baldy (9988') > Iron via San Antonio Ridge Traverse (8007') > Heaton Flat

Perfect weather (kinda hot), perfect snow (mostly). First time for any of us climbing the North Face of Baldy. We all agree, a totally aesthetic and classic climb. We started in Wrightwood at 3am (time change caught us off guard.) Acorn Trail up to the Blue Ridge trailhead for North Backbone. Crampons on. Summited Pine at sunrise. Descended and traversed to the southwest ridge coming off Dawson hoping to get down to Fish Fork that way. It got a little steep but it worked. Fish Fork was beautiful, but with treacherous snow bridges crossing. Finally got down to the base of the north face (7700') at around 9:30. The crux, a class 4 chute, was a little sketchy, waterfalls and snow bridges choked it up so we climbed the rocks along the left. Very chossy with mixed snow and some ice. Reached the top of the chute by 10:45, then went straight up the glorious and massive north face directly for the summit. We followed an elevated rock rib toward the top. Lots of consolidated avalanche debris around. Snow was is great shape. 2,364' in under a mile. Summited Baldy just before 1. Ate summit pizza. Over to West Baldy then down the San Antonio Ridge. Rested on 7903 and shed the crampons. Finally dropped down into the gunsight notch around 5:40pm. Not too much snow on the ridge so the class 3 sections remained "fun." Iron Mountain summit just in time to catch the sunset, drank tea (lemon jammer), had a cutie, ate sardines and drank the oil. Then misery and darkness: the brutal 7.5 mile, six thousand foot descent down a slippery hard packed dirt ridge trail. Legs jello, toes smashed. By far the most harrowing and painful section of the whole hike. Heaton Flat by midnight. An absolute classic San Gabriel Mountain Range Slog. To slog is human. My eyes are still burning as I type this.

8,178' of gain, 12,496' of loss, 20.5 miles, 21 hours.

more photos: https://www.facebook.com/jonah.f.olson/ ... 161&type=3
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Right on!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Epic. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful pics of the face.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Fast! Impressive first post lol. You almost had me sign up for Facebook.
Id say even one of the classics is hard to put into words, but you did a few of them together. :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yow!

Ever do any hiking? ;)

HJ
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Wow!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Legit. I am humbled by your mountaineering greatness. :shock:
jonaholson

Post by jonaholson »

AW wrote: Fast! Impressive first post lol. You almost had me sign up for Facebook.
Id say even one of the classics is hard to put into words, but you did a few of them together. :D
Thanks! I think I'll post more photos of the whole trip here. I kinda hate facebook
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

What kind of pizza? (this is important missing info that every TR should have!)
jonaholson

Post by jonaholson »

HikeUp wrote: What kind of pizza? (this is important missing info that every TR should have!)
My bad! Total newb here obvs. It was an olive, mushroom, and artichoke heart pizza from Mama Carpino's in Apple Valley (but I do eat meat.)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

lol. not my choice but hey, I wasn't there! tremendous trip, thanks for sharing.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

san-tony-classic-nbb-nf-sart-t7302.html

A goodbye to winter and looking forward to spring.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Dang! That's a super slog. Love that shot on the north face of Baldy. About half of the SG death march in winter with a north face variation. What a day.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Wow what a trip.... Great work!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

IMPRESSIVE! Love the photos!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

This TR is 2 years old...(I should stop linking to necro posts lol)