Chapman Trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked the Chapman Trail to the Icehouse saddle Saturday to avoid the thundering herds on the regular trail. I am happy to report that the creek next to Cedar Glen campground is still flowing. It's low, but usable. We refilled at Columbine Spring on the way down. It is also low, but you can still get water easily.
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

Wonder if it would practical to put a water availability table on this site for San Gabriels, like this one for the San Gorgonio area:
http://www.howlingduck.com/cgi-local/di ... er_data.pl
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I still have to visit that campground. Was there a lot of brush between the northernmost point you went, and the ridge to the northwest (leads to Thunder)?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Cedar Glen is a beautiful spot. It is primitive camping - no facilities.

If you wanted to access the ridge to Thunder, my recollection is that you would be doing some bushwacking and boulder scrambling.

burtw posted this account on the Mt. Whitney board last May:

Another interesting route in the Icehouse Canyon area is to take the Chapman Trail off of the IC Trail. At the Cedar Glen camping area leave the trail and go up Cedar Canyon to the saddle between Thunder and Telegraph mtns. Then go south on the 3Ts trail to the saddle between Telegraph and Timber, leave the trail again and go southwest down Telegraph Wash back to the Chapman Trail. It's not a lot of miles but it's fun to get off trail. You would want to wear long pants or high gaiters because there's some thorny bushwhacking involved. It is also bear and rattler habitat. I saw the rattlers and smelled the bear.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Danke schone!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I am going to randomly resurrect ancient threads. This is RichardK's 2nd post on this board! What, no pics!!!???
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

It's only 9 1/2 years late, but here is a picture from that hike made from the Chapman Trail looking west.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

8)
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Fanscinating history