Zion loop, Spruce Grove & Hoegee's water report

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Chantry's long been on my list of locations best suited for non-weekend visits. Got up there and did the Zion loop, counterclockwise, 9/23.

DSC00486 by moore91024, on Flickr
There's a new sign since I've last been there. Makes last year's overnight at Devore 1/4 mile more awesome than my prior estimate.

DSC00490 by moore91024, on Flickr
Poster at Sturtevant Camp. Kinda sorry I missed this. Love the illustration!

Water reports
Spruce Grove: as low as I've ever seen it. At least one spot in the campground I'd be willing to pump out of. More is visible and/or audible shortly below and above the campground.
Hoegees: I only saw one small unmoving pool.

For dayhikers, the fountain at Sturtevant was on.

Abundant graffiti indicates adequate "access" to the area.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks. I've been thinking of heading up that way soon. Are the trails still in good shape?
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Huh, I thought this was going in Trip Reports. Anyone who is able to move it is welcome to do so...
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Sean wrote: Thanks. I've been thinking of heading up that way soon. Are the trails still in good shape?
Yes! Very slightly overgrown, with some poison oak causing a "please keep your hands and arms inside the ride" condition in one spot I recall, but nothing too difficult.
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

This is one of my favorite loops out of Chantry Flats. I usually get up early and do this loop on a Saturday or Sunday morning as soon as the gate opens, taking the upper trail at the split and then taking Upper Winter Creek back after coming down Zion.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Yes, there is a certain joy in arriving at the end off the Upper Winter Creek at the top of Chantry, rather than slogging up the road! :D