Cabins, falls, mines in East Fork

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
missy

Post by missy »

Got around to backpacking this classic canyon with some friends recently! We had to set up a date in advance to accommodate the weekend warriors. There were a total of 12 of us, ready to revel in the spectacular East Fork Country.

The shuttle is by far the most troublesome aspect of the planning. We were lucky because our friend Darryl made sure we were not going to worry about that by hooking us up with a shuttle from Azusa to Vincent Gap! Thanks Darryl!
Darryl checking out potential camp spots by Missy

We arrived late night at Vincent Gap and once we opened the doors of the van, the icy winds shocked our bodies. We hurriedly threw some layers on, strapped on our packs, and did a group huddle/high five. It was Friday Night, we planned to spend the night at Vincent's Cabin because a few more friends were going to join us Saturday morning...

Midnight wildflowers by Missy

Already we messed up because we lost a friend. Oops. The turn-out to Vincent's Cabin is a not so conspicuous one. It was a silly miscommunication and we really beat ourselves up over it. After looking for him, we all decided that our friend had everything with him to stay safe overnight and we would resume searching by day light tomorrow.

Vincent's Cabin meadows by Missy

Our worry was over by the morning once our friend casually walked in to Vincent's Cabin meadows. We packed up and waited for the others to arrive.

I should mention that this same Saturday, a big group also came in to clean up trash at Mine Gulch, hosted by Alan (Pharraoh of YouTube)they came by to say hello and were on their way down. Thanks for cleaning up guys!!

Heading down Vincent Gulch, Mine Gulch Trail by Missy

Through the Oaks by Missy

Filmy Peaks by Missy

A look into Mine Gulch by Missy

Jeremy looking towards East Fork. Photo by Darryl Vigil by Missy

From there it was about 9 miles give or take to Fish Fork trail camp. Some trail, some bush-whacking, and some creek fording. Water levels never presented a danger and you only dipped your feet in for expediency's sake

About every single one of us took a fall due to some malicious unstable rock put there.

The canyon took my breath away. The geology was diverse and unique!
Stacked geology by Missy

The next day we headed out from Fish Fork, with no rush. We passed by the beautiful Falls Gulch Falls. A narrow cascade….
Fall Gulch of East Fork by Missy

We explored Iron Fork and took a break at one of the back country camps spots there. Darryl wants to descend North Iron Fork to East Fork so that trip may be in the works.

At Iron Fork we soon passed that Hobo Daves hut and the start of the "smarter way" to Stanley Miller mine which I also hope to get to soon before the heat takes over.

After passing the Bridge to Nowhere we decided to head down and explore the Horseshoe Mine.
Heading down to Horseshoe Mine by Missy

Silhouette in Horseshoe Mine by Missy

Hose supplying water to prospector downstream by Missy

We then passed by two prospectors, who gave us a tip on Devils Gulch Falls, it took our breath away!
Devils Gulch Falls by Missy

Joining the main trail to Heaton Flats, we joined the Bridge to Nowhere hikers bumping their music on their boomboxes….

Great trip!
The East Fork Crew! Photo by Darryl Vigil by Missy

Read about East Fork history on my blog/more pictures on Flickr
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Very cool trip missy. Sounds super fun. Thx for the great pics and report.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Nice!....before the Memorial day massacre too!
There seems to be a significant increase in social media thru hikers....they are usually so happy lol.
dima

Post by dima »

That looks super fun! Which sections have a trail? Vincent Gap down to the river? What about between there and Fish Fork?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Looks like a great trip. I really like Devil's Gulch Falls.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Nice. I still need to visit that cabin. Thanks for the report and beautiful pictures.
missy

Post by missy »

AW wrote: Nice!....before the Memorial day massacre too!
There seems to be a significant increase in social media thru hikers....they are usually so happy lol.
haha I'm slightly ashamed of the #52hikechallenge but to each their own!
missy

Post by missy »

dima wrote: That looks super fun! Which sections have a trail? Vincent Gap down to the river? What about between there and Fish Fork?
Hi Dima!

Sorry I was never notified of comments on this TR. Correct, only from Vincent Gap to the canyon floor. You can follow a use trail but it disappears so often and the canyon widens so you are better off find the path of least resistance. And also theres a trail after reaching the Bridge to Nowhere.
missy

Post by missy »

tekewin wrote: Looks like a great trip. I really like Devil's Gulch Falls.
Thanks! I've only heard of it. Some prospectors gave us the hint of where it was. Seriously so beautiful!
missy

Post by missy »

Uncle Rico wrote: Very cool trip missy. Sounds super fun. Thx for the great pics and report.

Thanks Always Uncle Rico :)
missy

Post by missy »

Sean wrote: Nice. I still need to visit that cabin. Thanks for the report and beautiful pictures.
Really? hehe a San Gabriel Classic for sure!