Prairie Fork - Lupine Road (3N39)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

According to the Big Pines Ranger Station on their Facebook page it is supposed to open sometime this week. My son & I hiked Pine Mtn on Saturday and it was not open then - we had to park at Guffy.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Have to love the dirtballs who tore down two of the three cement barricades that were erected to the side of the gate, huh?

Personally, I wish they'd keep that road closed forever.

I've packed enough garbage out of that canyon to know that once the road opens we'll be seeing beer bottles and cigarette butts from those who don't quite "get it." It's obviously also bone dry down there. One spark hitting a fuel source and we'll kiss another section goodbye. The end of fire season can't come soon enough for me.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

ur2slo wrote: Thx Elwood,
I been down 4 time since May, know what ya mean, Ford F250, 35" tires, heck i'll make Cabin Flat for sure.

(usually base at Guffy, stop in)

Hate it when I c a Range rover driving by, me huffing a 50# up the trail, says they just drove around it........errrr

c u when i c u........
Just to toss this out there, it's prohibited for motor vehicles to drive to Cabin Flats. From talking to the Big Pines Ranger Station it looks like the Forest Service is gearing up to start nailing people who do.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Teejate wrote: Have to love the dirtballs who tore down two of the three cement barricades that were erected to the side of the gate, huh?

Personally, I wish they'd keep that road closed forever.

I've packed enough garbage out of that canyon to know that once the road opens we'll be seeing beer bottles and cigarette butts from those who don't quite "get it." It's obviously also bone dry down there. One spark hitting a fuel source and we'll kiss another section goodbye. The end of fire season can't come soon enough for me.

I've been away from the canyons and hills we all enjoy, for some years and the changes seen are amazing to me. The pictures of Cucamonga falls in the on the "trash on the trail" post, friggin made me stare wide eyed, unbelieving the mess the idiots have done to it. Jeez last time I was there musta been, 90 -92. I could not believe it. I actually had to show it to a son of a friend and he confirmed it, then had a fairly heated discussion on it. Being 25, he justified everything that was wrong. Screwed up society we got. IMHO

The "Entitlement Generation" is gonna ??? What, run the world? Hah!

THAT is my biggest concern, not cats, not bears, not thunderstorms, stupid people are my biggest.

I remember the first time I saw a rock tagged up east fork, maybe 84-85. Not sure if any remember, up about 3 miles on the east side of trail was some blackberry bushes, saw this friggin rock and in disgust ripped a piece of cardboard I had. Made a sign, said "No one can see this or cares about it" and left it on rock.

It's high time we tell stupid people they are stupid, not give "politically correct" answers.

And correct, ur next post is proper, I may compare it, but i have the common sense, givin to me as a youngen, to not. But can safely. Exhaust pipes get hot, not many these days know or care about that!

How many times this year I've been hiking back up to GUFFY from cabin flats, 50# on my old back, after being asked by the driver of a Range Rover AT Cabin Flats, if I'm prospecting and how to do it. My answer? "Dig some dirt, throw some water in. It ain't rocket science" lol.

I was talking to the CDF crew that put the recent stantions in, after seeing the original guy in a jeep jump the gate. While talking to the local ranger, (no names, u may kno) I mentioned seeing the jeep guy down there. Hence the stantions. I came back 2 wks later to see them drivin over.....

Quaeritur Stultitiae
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

FYI, I only went as far as Guffy, but the gate there was open, which is odd because the ranger station was posting just the day before about how it is closed https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Pine ... 5338620103

Didn't look like it was open due to vandalism, so not sure what's up.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Kool info SH, finally got a dozer in there sounds like. It's not normal for the FS ranger I talk to to leave it open, so hopefully will be till first snow anyway.

Happy trails.......
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Yeah...it was open. I parked at Guffy and ended up staying at Cabin Flats due to bowhunters at Lupine. Not my vibe.

Also saw a couple of vehicles past Lupine which, according to the Forest Service, is off-limits. I asked a ranger once why they didn't at least have a sign saying it was a closed area and they said every time they put one up it gets destroyed. Just like the cement barriers they put up a couple of months ago next to the gate when it was closed. Walked back through Lupine and saw the typical garbage in the fire rings.

Man...that place is like a tinder box down there. I know that some hunters have their act together but I also know that some don't. A spark from a vehicle, a cigarette butt (spotted three on the ground) and it's going to be lights out for that canyon.

Personally, I wish they'd close that gate permanently. Of course, I also don't understand allowing deer hunting when the herds are no where near the point of needing to be culled.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Teejate wrote: Yeah...it was open. I parked at Guffy and ended up staying at Cabin Flats due to bowhunters at Lupine. Not my vibe.

Also saw a couple of vehicles past Lupine which, according to the Forest Service, is off-limits. I asked a ranger once why they didn't at least have a sign saying it was a closed area and they said every time they put one up it gets destroyed. Just like the cement barriers they put up a couple of months ago next to the gate when it was closed. Walked back through Lupine and saw the typical garbage in the fire rings.

Man...that place is like a tinder box down there. I know that some hunters have their act together but I also know that some don't. A spark from a vehicle, a cigarette butt (spotted three on the ground) and it's going to be lights out for that canyon.

Ruhh ohhh Good points.....

stupid people alert!

Scary thinking about it.....
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

My bucket and stuff still there? Lol. I have a few items over that way I need to get, some ropes are still up high too.

Didn't think it would open....b there next week. Prolly head in from VG tho...
Tom S

Post by Tom S »

I hiked the Manzanita Trail out of Vincent Gap yesterday. In passing Blue Ridge I noticed that the Blue Ridge road is now gated at Route 2. There was a FS LEO sitting in his truck by the gate. At Vincent Gap, the main parking area has a sign "Recreation Site closed", which I assumed applied to the restroom (the sole amenity there). Parking was being allowed in the lots on both sides of the road. While I was preparing to set off on my hike, the LEO drove up, but just sat in his truck and did not try to engage me or anyone else in conversation. I guess he was just sent on patrol to deter vandalism at the closed sites.

The South Fork Campground at the bottom end of my hike was gated and deserted. It was so nice to be able to walk through there (necessary to connect to the trails to Islip Saddle and Devil's Chair) in such a state.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Tom S wrote: I hiked the Manzanita Trail out of Vincent Gap yesterday. In passing Blue Ridge I noticed that the Blue Ridge road is now gated at Route 2. There was a FS LEO sitting in his truck by the gate. At Vincent Gap, the main parking area has a sign "Recreation Site closed", which I assumed applied to the restroom (the sole amenity there). Parking was being allowed in the lots on both sides of the road. While I was preparing to set off on my hike, the LEO drove up, but just sat in his truck and did not try to engage me or anyone else in conversation. I guess he was just sent on patrol to deter vandalism at the closed sites.

The South Fork Campground at the bottom end of my hike was gated and deserted. It was so nice to be able to walk through there (necessary to connect to the trails to Islip Saddle and Devil's Chair) in such a state.
Good to know Tom. I'd actually asked on another thread if anyone had been up there since the shutdown which, I'm sure, is why the gate was closed.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Does anyone know whether or not the road is currently open to Lupine Campground?

HJ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Facebook:Big Pines Ranger Station, Angeles National Forest

I wouldn't hold your breath. The road is in such bad shape it would take a lot to get it open for normal vehicle traffic, only to be washed away again with the next big thunder storm. It's become our area's Hwy 39.

There is talk of installing another gate further down Blue Ridge road at the next "Y" in the road so you could at least drive to the end of the road at Slover Canyon while keeping the road down into Lupine closed.

Some have talked about making that road down into Lupine an OHV road since Jeepers seem to like it, but making that happen would require a lot of red tape.
June 1,2016 at 10:03pm
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Also:

The road going down into Camp Lupine has been closed until further notice. A survey was done and it was found that after our recent storms there are more than 20 rock and mudslides blocking the road making it far too dangerous to keep it open, even to 4 X 4 and high clearance vehicles. Blue Ridge Road is open only to Guffy Campground.

October 5, 2015

It has nothing to do with how many Rangers are available to patrol the area. The road was closed "until further notice" under direct orders from the District Ranger because of the dangerous condition of the road. Offers and questions should be directed to the district office.
October 21, 2015 at 9:12pm · Edited
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Crap. OK, thanks, AW. :(

HJ