Using Helicopters to Ferry Supplies to Everest Camp I

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

For the first time in history, the Expedition Operators Association (EOA) transported gear from Everest Base Camp to Camp I in Nepal, reducing the number of times that Sherpas were required to enter the Icefall section of the route. According to this article at Outside Magazine, most of the people at Base Camp supported the decision, while some argued that it went against the "spirit of alpinism."

What is the "spirit of alpinism" to the spirit of safety? If choppering in supplies is generally safer than sending Sherpa loads through the Icefall, then what does that say about the sort of people these "alpinists" are? Perhaps they legitimately complain about increased traffic along the route, which can also cost lives. But the traffic issue is a matter of permitting and logistics, and it seems unrelated to the "spirit of alpinism."
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

21st century porter.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

(Rich)Tourist trap. This is more $ for an extended season.

I am not an alpinist, but I think anyone who sees the pictures on the internet of all the trash wouldnt confuse it as natural scenery. 70,000-100,000 people a year with no waste handling. Probably 3 seconds for a selfie at the summit....no thanks.