Mt. Lukens: Crescenta View-Rim of the Valley Loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Yeah, yeah, I'm late to the Lukens party, but I finally got around to attacking it from the front side this past weekend. I thought I wouldn't like it, but I did. Trails are in really good shape thanks to Mad Maxon and his crew I'm assuming. There was water in Cooks Canyon which was cool, literally and figuratively. A stranger on top told me that the Grizzly Flat trail is clear. Can anyone confirm that? Pic and stuff here:

http://wildsouthland.blogspot.com/2016/ ... alley.html
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Fun hike indeed. Thanks for the memories! lol
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Grizzly Flat was clear and being worked about a year ago. Haven't been back more recently than that.

Now that you've developed an appreciation for "less alpine-y" mountains, try the west ridge route next time.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I did not know about that West Ridge route Sean. Thanks for the hot tip. 8)
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks for the report. Your route has been on my list a long time, but it never seems to make it to the top. Someday!
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

Stone Canyon/Grizzly Flats Loop LY.

https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=6347
walker

Post by walker »

Thanks for the report, Rico.

I just did the shortcut version of this loop yesterday. Went up Crescenta View Trail and came down the ridge that divides Dunsmore Canyon from Cooks Canyon.

On the very upper section of Crescenta View, I followed the abandoned segment of trail that continues traversing across the upper basin to regain the ridge where Pickens Spur meets the main ridgeline at some boulder piles. That section of trail is more direct than the officially maintained trail, if a bit brushy and washed out in spots, but relatively easy to follow for an abandoned trail.

On the way down from Lukens, I descended Haines Canyon road through the first major switchbacks to the point where it crosses the shortcut ridgeline and began descending towards my destination, peak 3087. I took care on the way up to study the shortcut ridge carefully from different vantage points and make mental records of which ridge spurs to descend. I was glad I had because it's steep, crumbly terrain that's rolling and rounded so it's a bit hard to tell which hump to go down in places until you're halfway down it. There are also a couple of ridge summits to ascend along the way. There's a faint use trail and lots of very well established game trails that can potentially detour you off into the drainages if you're not paying attention. But the brush is fairly thin and with proper caution, it seems to be one of the most direct routes up or down Lukens from Dukmejian park.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

This was my first real Southern California hike, so it always holds a place in my heart :) And it's not so bad! Fairly challenging, not the most boring :) There's towers at the top, but whatev!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: This was my first real Southern California hike, so it always holds a place in my heart :) And it's not so bad! Fairly challenging, not the most boring :) There's towers at the top, but whatev!
They're old growth towers.