Cottonwood Lakes, Inyo National Forest, Sept 17th-18th

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
cgraf

Post by cgraf »

We were able to get out for a quick overnight trip and chose a scenic 12 mile out and back trip to Cottonwood Lakes. The trailhead resides at an elevation of approximately 10,000ft and climbs gently an additional 1,100ft through beautiful meadows with granite peaks towering above them, culminating in a series of picturesque lakes.
We stayed at the edge of Cottonwood Lake #3 where we had great views of not only the lake itself but the meadow slightly to the northeast.
The weather was sunny and the sky a vibrant blue without a single cloud. As the sun went down, the stars were more abundant than I can recall previously seeing and so bright they illuminated the surrounding area. The temperature at night dipped to freezing as upon waking the edges of the lake were iced over and my friends tent hand condensation that froze on the inside of his canopy/rainfly.

Here are a few pictures of our quick trip:
Picture #1: Meadow prior to Cottonwood Lake #3
Picture #2: Meadow NE of Cottonwood Lake #3
Picture #3&4: Cottonwood Lake #3
Picture #5: Hexamid Solo Tarp at Night (beak left open)

Cheers
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the pictures of Cottonwood Lakes. I hope you stayed warm in your tent. Two years ago (almost to the day) it snowed on me around that area and the temperature dropped to 5 degrees at night.
cgraf

Post by cgraf »

I had contacted the Lone Pine Ranger Station on Wednesday afternoon and they said the forecast night time low at Whitney was 38F so Cottonwood Lakes should be roughly in the mid-40Fs.
With that temperature expected, I went with my WM Highlite. It kept me warm enough expect for my feet which I wrapped in a Montbell Down Snap-Neck Vest. In retrospect, I probably should have taken my 20F bag....but it was still a great outing.

Cheers