Mystery Tunnel East Fork / Does Anyone Know What It Is?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

On my last two trips to the East Fork I've seen a tunnel across the riverbed from the road, just slightly upstream the cafe you might be familiar with. I know this area is pockmarked with mines, but this looks more like a water tunnel. It's up about 50 feet on the side of a cliff and does look accessible, but I don't want to climb up there if it only leads to a locked door. Do any of you know what this is?

This is the cafe ....

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii20 ... yhucig.jpg

This is the tunnel ....

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii20 ... hjnozx.jpg

Thanks much! Crazy Hermit
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

I don't know what it is, but I eyeball it almost every time I drive by there for the last dozen years or so. Please let us know what you find if you go exploring.

Stop in the cafe and say hi to Mark and shorty and the gang. They're all pretty nice.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

[quote="SGBob:52111"]I don't know what it is, but I eyeball it almost every time I drive by there for the last dozen years or so. Please let us know what you find if you go exploring.

Stop in the cafe and say hi to Mark and shorty and the gang. They're all pretty nice.[/quote]

Thanks Bob. In all likelihood I will climb up there. I've already explored several mines in this area including the Billy Heaton and the Horseshoe, but I can't seem to find any information on this particular tunnel.
sesshin

Post by sesshin »

I camped on that land once and talked to the owner at the cafe about it. He said the hills all around there were private property and strongly discouraged me from climbing up and exploring. I got the impression people had been hurt doing so in the past and he didn't want the liability.