Bishop Pass Trip Report, July 11 2015

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

I was hoping to hike White Mountain Peak this past Saturday, but the forecast scared me off. We ended up hiking Bishop Pass instead.

We met a couple that had planned to jump onto the JMT/PCT for a bit after going over the pass. They started their hike Tues and spent much of their time hanging out in their tent in Dusy Basin. They decided to cut their trip short and exit the way they entered.

On our way out, the clouds moved in. Hopefully everyone who was out on the JMT stayed warm and dry.

Here are some hightlights from our hike:

Bishop Pass, July 11 2015

RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The Bishop Pass is a world class hike. South Lake looks like a bathtub where someone pulled the plug. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the upper lakes still had good water. Thanks for the report. It brings back memories.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I went up there last summer on overnight to Dusy Basin. That's a great place to visit, love the views walking back towards Long Lake.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

Seeing South Lake so empty was a little depressing, but like you said, the upper lakes had plenty of water.

Have either of you been up to Little Lakes Valley? I'd argue that it's just as beautiful, if not more, up there: http://www.hikinggeek.com/2013/08/16/li ... t-16-2013/
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Little Lakes Valley - Mosquito Flat trailhead - is simply the greatest easy hike in the Sierras. 3 miles long, 500 feet elevation gain, 9 lakes to explore. With hardly more effort you can visit a few other lakes too.
Parking area is always crowded and tons of people at Heart and Box lakes.
Donald Shimoda
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

When I tell people about LLV, I tell them it has best payoff:hiking ratio ever :D

Are there any other passes or easy trails in the area that you would recommend?

I have looked into or hiked: Bishop, Kearsarge Pass, Trail Pass, Cottonwood Pass & Mono Pass (yosemite and LLV) & Morgan Pass. I am looking at North Fork of Big Pine Creek also. Basically stuff that can be used as an acclimation the hike the day before Whitney or Langley.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

If you are willing to go to Bishop then check out Blue Lake, from the trail at Sabrina. I like to just hang out on the rocks near the outlet.
A little further and you can visit Hungry Packer, Drunken Sailor and Midnight Lakes. Those are nice overnight trips too. Blue Lake is about 6 miles round trip.
Donald Shimoda
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Further review after the TR on your site...
Is that Joyce in the picture with you? I know her name from Whitney message board and met her once on summit of Potato Mtn.
Totally agree with you on the merino. I wore one of my wool shirts for four days and 50 miles without it stinking up the area around me. I also go for the wool socks but wear Darn Tough.
South Lake was nearly drained last September when I was up there, still looks low. I thought they were just doing some work to the dam and would have been done by now.
Donald Shimoda
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

Thanks for the suggestions Jeff. I will check those places out.

That is Joyce. My screenname on WPSMB is 63ChevyII

I ended up hiking Mono Pass > Mono Pass Peak > Summit Lake Friday after driving up from Riverside. I drove back down to Lone Pine (I stayed at the hostel), then went up to the portal to hang out with some members of the WPSMB. Saturday I hiked Kearsarge Pass, then went back up to the Portal to hang out, hearing some interesting stories from the hikers coming down.

http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/07/20/mi ... 7-19-2015/