Centimeter accurate GPS for your smartphone

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Came across an article on science daily about software improvements for GPS accuracy on mobile devices.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 083031.htm

Researchers from University of Texas at Austin, have developed new software that enables your mobile device to have Centimeter GPS accuracy using your existing wireless antenna.

The article continue's on to talk about other uses for virtual reality, drone package delivery, and vehicle navigation.

I have been using my smartphone for GPS tracking, photos, videos, and navigation for hiking since I first obtained one. Its a great weight saver. You don't need to carry a digital camera, or a separate GPS receiver, instead they are combined into one device.

My biggest gripe with smartphones is their GPS tracking is on the poor side of quality and this new software advancement helps rectify that problem. My hope is that the new software wont have a negative impact on battery life.

Science daily source article: http://gpsworld.com/accuracy-in-the-palm-of-your-hand
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I downloaded a GPS app for my phone, but have never really used it. Smartphone battery life is a concern. The free standing GPS uses ordinary AA batteries. I always carry an extra set. I figure that my old Garmin 12XL is accurate to 3 meters. At the start of a hike, I take a waypoint. Upon returning, I stand in the same spot and check the position again. The difference has never been more than 3 meters. You can't read a 7.5 minute map to 3 meter accuracy. The scale isn't that small. I remember something about an extra signal from the satellites that greatly improves accuracy, but only military receivers can get it.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

RichardK wrote: I downloaded a GPS app for my phone, but have never really used it. Smartphone battery life is a concern. The free standing GPS uses ordinary AA batteries. I always carry an extra set. I figure that my old Garmin 12XL is accurate to 3 meters. At the start of a hike, I take a waypoint. Upon returning, I stand in the same spot and check the position again. The difference has never been more than 3 meters. You can't read a 7.5 minute map to 3 meter accuracy. The scale isn't that small. I remember something about an extra signal from the satellites that greatly improves accuracy, but only military receivers can get it.
Battery life is one of my concerns as well.

I use an iphone6 currently with motion x for gps tracking. I find that my battery life heavily depends on how much canopy I have above me while tracking.

I have gotten as much as 7 hours of life while tracking and taking photos with minimal overhead canopy, and as low as 4 hours of life with heavy canopy.

I take with me a lightweight portable charger that holds 4 AA rechargeable batteries, and I usually get 2 full charges from it. That works out to enough battery life to track & take photos for 3-4 day trips.
dima

Post by dima »

The proposal in the article isn't a software one, anyway. They're proposing better signal processing in hardware that is able to get high quality tracking results even with the shitty GPS antenna in a phone. They're using just the antenna part of the phone in their tests.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

My experience with GPS on the phone is that it burns my battery. I prefer to carry a couple of extra AAs if needed and I like having a GPS that is tougher than my phone.

I used to rely on my phone for photos, but I think I get better quality out of a small Canon point and shoot. Better video, too, and I can operate it while wearing gloves. I don't carry a pro grade camera though I appreciate the photos of people who do.