Allison Mine Loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

4/8/15 I started at the East fork parking area at around 8am for my weekly run/hike. My intentions were to run all the way to the bridge and explore past the narrows possibly checking out Ross gulch falls.
About the time I reached swan rock I had already started feeling bored… something about going down the same trail that I have done a bunch times before just made me lethargic. I needed to do something new and show my eyes some new territory and get my adventure on.
And soon enough the confluence with the Allison gulch was right in front of me… I have read a bunch of TR’s on the mines of the east fork and they have always interested me. I decided to see if I could find the old trail up the mine. Adventure started.

Soon after I came across an old Mine cart in the canyon I started seeing pink tape that marked the “trail”. Travel in the canyon bottom was easy going, not many obstacles or brush. Eventually with the help of the tape I followed a scree slope up to the trail high on the canyon wall.

The trail was easy to follow and the yuccas have all been trimmed. The trail was very washed out so I took my time in a few spots. Soon enough I was peering down into the Gulch and saw the mine remains. I spent about 45min this section of the canyon taking pica and eating lunch. (11am)

Waterfall was cool, Mine was cool, Mine Equipment was cool, whole canyon was cool.
Then I started the stupid trail up to Heaton saddle… Hot, brushy, and deceptively long.

When I reached Heaton Saddle (1pm) I took a short hydration break then Ran along the ridge back down to the east fork where I promptly stuck my feet in the cold river. (2pm)