Switzers: No More Pools

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Took a hike from the picnic area down to the confluence of the Arroyo Seco and Bear Canyon. Lots of flowers and greenery. A beautiful Spring day. Water was flowing through the creek, which due to heavy rains this winter, is now filled with silt. All the way down to the confluence and most certainly beyond.

This is the worst I've ever seen it. I'm not sure if it was this way immediately after the Station Fire, but I was up there the first weekend after they opened the area and, while there was a lot of silt then, it was nothing like it is now. A pool that was at least 8-10 feet deep that we were able to jump into from the rocks above only a couple years ago (post fire) is now completely full of sand! I mean it is just gone. All of them. It struck me as very sad, even though I know that this is the way of the mountains and has been for millenia. I didn't take any pictures because I don't want to remember the Arroyo like this. I may not be back here for a while. :(
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks for the update. I was actually thinking about heading out there one weekend specifically for the pools. Oh well!
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

On the bright side, creek crossings have never been easier.