Falling Rock Cnyn, Ontario, Bighorn, Cuc Pk, Sheep Flat

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
hbandrew

Post by hbandrew »

Saturday I hiked this route and it was a great workout. 7,200 feet of elevation gain in 12.2 miles roundtrip. Lots of scenery and varied terrain.

I started at Icehouse Canyon Trailhead and hiked up Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario Peak. I was surprised to find no one else on Ontario Peak mid-morning. I did not see any other hikers in Falling Rock Canyon either.

I proceeded on the Ontario Peak Trail to Bighorn Peak. Next I hiked down the SE face of Bighorn Peak to connect with the Cucamonga Trail. After summiting Cucamonga Peak I had originally planned to continue on to Etiwanda Peak. However, there was still a fair amount of snow on the trail and I did not have micro spikes so I decided to pass.

Instead, after descending from Cucamonga Peak I hiked back up the SE face of Bighorn Peak to connect with the Ontario Peak Trail again. It is much steeper to hike up Bighorn Peak from the Cucamonga side than from the Ontario Peak side.

I then trail blazed from the Ontario Peak Trail down to Sheep Flat. I exited Sheep Flat via Lost Creek and re-connected with the main Icehouse Canyon Trail at the wilderness boundary sign.

I was surprised to only encounter 5 other parties on the main Icehouse Canyon trail on a late Saturday afternoon in March. I think everyone was watching March Madness. Later the same evening so was I…on recording. Too bad my alma mater Arizona lost.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Studly.

My alma mater (Utes) lost as well.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

That is just one hell of a hike!!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Nice use of Lost Creek to complete the hike.