20150309 Brown Eye Gulch

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

This is a small feeder canyon that drops into Browns Gulch off R39 near the SG Dam. Been looking at it for a few years. Before I was getting more into canyoneering, I took photos of canyons in the area during the long lost rainy season which looked attractive. This one had water cascading down several drops, and it made me think of far off places with cool wet climates such as the PNW or Hawaii.

ImagePC210167 by TacoDelRio, on Flickr

Ain't it grand? Keep in mind this photo was taken a few years ago. Here it is on the day of the trip:

Image. by TacoDelRio, on Flickr

Of course it is up to those of us who explore these places to see if reality matches the image in one's mind, which it rarely does. The imagination can be dangerous, but with experience comes an 'accurizing' of one's thoughts.

I began my hike up what I call Hunters Ridge, as I believe they are the largest user base of this terrain feature. Ty and I hiked up it once to descend Islip Canyon, a relatively unremarkable canyon with 13 rappels in which we left no anchors behind, using retrievables and wrapping around large dead trees in places.

I continued up 1500ft of gain over one mile to reach the drop in.

A spur splits the upper section of canyon, providing a steep but relatively easy path down into the canyon bottom. I took it down as far as I could until I felt I could no longer avoid bushwhacking. I dropped into the western fork, where the bushwhacking started in earnest. Very thick brush comprised of the usual canyon plants mixed with a LOT of Poison Oak and that small bush that grows in the area which has many sharp spines along its branches. Thankfully, this plant is easy to chop away at with a machete, unlike Buckthorn. One strike flipped a spiny branch into my face, which cut my eye. Pleasant.

There were several short downclimbs on mostly good rock, water polished and low angle. Mosses, Dudleya, and other ancient plants grow from cracks in the falls, which retain some water.

The trusty Ontario 18" machete got a workout today, during which part of the grip broke.

After what felt like a miniature lifetime of chopping, crawling, pushing, falling, sliding, one comes to the first rappel. The anchor options are there, but are mostly small bushes and dead plant matter. I wrapped around one of these plants, whose name I cannot remember. Natives used them for bow drills, arrows, and other tools, as they grow straight and are easy to come by.

The anchor flexed a bit, but when loaded properly there was no issue with strength. This is often not scary in one of these canyons, unless you have a long 200ft+ rappel, when you've got lots of time for your mind to think of all the possible failures resulting in death or dismemberment. As it was only about 40ft, my mind was more in tune with the brush I had to deal with at the bottom, with my ropes wrapped in it and my ass sliding around trying to reach a solid stance.

Some more downclimbing and bushwhacking which always had me questioning why I do this to myself went by. I go out here alone, and funny thing is I tend to worry more about the numbers of the approach, the drive, paying for gas, what food to bring, and all that. I thrust myself into a canyon filled with miserable bushwhacking and probably a questionable anchor or two (or more) and before I know it, I'm in it with no easy way out. Thankfully, this canyon is very short, so relief was not far.

The next rappels came up, two down an attractive open section of canyon. The bushwhacking was done. The anchor was a solid tree, I believe. Nothing to worry about. One has to rappel directly through Poison Oak here on these two rapps.

There is only one strand of rope in this photo, as I took the shot while I was pulling and stuffing the rope. I often pull almost all the rope until its weight is holding it in the anchor above, so that I may catch up on stuffing the rope before pulling the last bit down. Makes it easier when you're alone. Just need to clarify so nobody thinks I've got some special single strand technique here that requires explanation.

One more short 50ft or so rappel through more PO over easy ground leads one to the end. A short walk down to the base of the hill which R39 sits atop. Make a right, and hike directly up the slope following footprints to reach the road. I parked in the large turnout just before this sweeper (turn). I was glad to be done with this canyon.

I forgot to mention just how many flies are out now. Many small black biting flies as well, mixed in with the slightly-less-annoying sweat flies. I had a dense cloud of them around me during the entire trip down the canyon.

I do not suggest descending this canyon.

More information here: http://ropewiki.com/Brown_Eye_Gulch

Cheers guys.
longcut

Post by longcut »

Duuude.

Mountain lilac. Sexy machete photos. Native fire making. Canyoneering technique.

This report has it all. Thank you sir.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

And pictures from Hawaii!!!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Great photos of a nasty canyon. I'll take your recommendation and skip it :)
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

OK Taco your making me sentimental (or do I mean just mental). Back in 92 to 95 a bunch of us used to hike up Browns Gulch all the time, I never saw any other people in the area but, there were some hunters tree stands.
About a mile or two upstream there is a water fall and pool beneath it, never did rap down it but that might be fun. Back then small trout had been planted by the Forest Service which was weird as much of the stream dried up each year leaving only occasional pools, with the drought I doubt if there is much water left now. Lots of snakes and stuff down there, Hmmm, maybe I should go check it out again, or take the fire road to Pine Mountain and drop into Browns Gulch that way.
cheers Phil
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Watch out for them pot farmers if'n you head back thataway!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Very thick brush comprised of the usual canyon plants mixed with a LOT of Poison Oak and that small bush that grows in the area which has many sharp spines along its branches.
After what felt like a miniature lifetime of chopping, crawling, pushing, falling, sliding, one comes to the first rappel.
One has to rappel directly through Poison Oak here on these two rapps.
I forgot to mention just how many flies are out now. Many small black biting flies as well, mixed in with the slightly-less-annoying sweat flies. I had a dense cloud of them around me during the entire trip down the canyon.
I do not suggest descending this canyon.
Sounds like a fun outing Taco. Glad I missed it. :P
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report! Your adventures are always crazy and always inspiring. Funny name.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm just saying all of this because a Cessna filled with gold, drugs, and guns crashed in there and I don't want you going after it.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Cool name at least :D
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I'm just saying all of this because a Cessna filled with gold, drugs, and guns crashed in there and I don't want you going after it.
That strategy is working. :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Derp, 1,500ft of gain, not 2,500. Drop-in elevation is about 2,500, so I got all turnt up suckahs.