Tanriverdi Falls

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Tanriverdi Falls is one of the crown jewels of the Santa Ana Mountains, and probably seen by only a handful of people each decade. There is no trail and no easy way to get there. I considered several approaches but decided descending from the top of the canyon was still the best. I had to bypass 8 other waterfalls on the way to Tanriverdi Falls, deep in Hot Spring Canyon. This was the toughest route finding I have ever faced, the nastiest bushwhacking, and probably the most dangerous I hike I've ever done. I leave it to the canyoneers, since I don't plan to ever go back.

Full report: http://ironhiker.blogspot.com/2015/02/t ... falls.html

Upper Hot Spring Falls

Gut Check Falls

Top of Single Track Falls

Bottom of Single Track Falls (from high on the wall)

Sled Falls with a fixed rope

Dread Lock Falls (I think)

Ohh Baby Pool

BJs Landing Falls

Preview Falls

Tanriverdi Falls

Left over webbing for the big rappel over Tanriverdi

Over the edge of Tanriverdi Falls

Pretty much how I felt after the hike

Taco

Post by Taco »

Looks cool. Might go cheggit out myseff. Cheers dude.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

I've gone down to where the rope work starts, really cool geology.
Usually there are 1000's of frogs on the single track falls.

There is a bypass trail from the top of sled falls down into the mid canyon stretch and I have heard on one guy who made it through the canyon without ropes. Always been interested in checking that out but I don't wanna spend the night on a cliff face :/
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Taco,

With your canyoneering skills, it would not be nearly as intense as it was for me. Lots of cool falls.

Scottawr,

Here is the rope you probably saw fixed to a boulder below Single Track:

I thought about whether to try to take that back up, but decided to stay on the wall. I could not tell if I could get over the falls that way even it I made it up to the boulder. I saw lots of frogs, but no salamanders.

The poison oak is starting to bloom on my wrists and neck now. I am still paying the price, haha. :wink:
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

tekewin wrote: The poison oak is starting to bloom on my wrists and neck now. I am still paying the price, haha. :wink:
Just a friendly tip about poison oak: ammonia chemically destroys urushiol, the oil in poison oak that causes the rash. If you keep a little bottle of plain old ammonia and a rag with you, you can wipe down with ammonia (watch the fumes) and never have poison oak again. Ever since I learned this helpful bit of chemistry about 5 years ago I have yet to get any poison oak rash.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

ammonia chemically destroys urushiol, the oil in poison oak that causes the rash. If you keep a little bottle of plain old ammonia and a rag with you, you can wipe down with ammonia (watch the fumes) and never have poison oak again.
For real? That's some useful ass information.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

Uncle Rico wrote: For real? That's some useful ass information.
No joke. It doesn't even have to be right away. I've wiped down a couple of hours later and still been OK. I still try to avoid poison oak, so I don't know if it would work if you were real cavalier about it. In theory it should work no matter how much urushiol you get on you as long as you can get to it before it causes a reaction, but your mileage may vary.

Try it next time you run into some poison oak. Worst case is you still get the rash you were going to get anyway.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

SGbob,

Thanks for the poison oak tip. I'll try that in the future. It's too late for me now that rashes have appeared. One fresh bloom on my lower back at the shirt line this morning.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

tekewin wrote: SGbob,

Thanks for the poison oak tip. I'll try that in the future. It's too late for me now that rashes have appeared.
I have a semi-cure for that too. Blowdryer. Sounds weird, but turn the blowdryer on low and get it as close to the rash as you can stand. At first it will feel like the most wonderful thing in the world, like magic fingers reaching under the skin and scratching the source of the itch. Keep going. Then it will start to hurt as the heat builds up. Don't worry. Unless you have some sort of sensory disorder your body will tell you when it's too much. Hold the blowdryer on that spot until you can't stand it anymore. When I used to get the inevitable rash this trick would make the itching go away for a few hours.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

SGbob,

Can't hurt, I'll give it a try. Thanks.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Yea I used that yellow rope and got to the bypass up on the canyon wall checking things out.

Back in 2011 there was enough water in the upper canyon falls pool to jump from the rocks above. All the waterfalls in that area are sad now :( tenaja, lion, Ortega, chiquito all running dry.