OMG NEW YEARZ GLIMB

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Pat Trick and I glimbed Telegraph Peak's norfwest face today. It's not really in condition for fun yet, just sloggy steep cold gravel sadness. We had fun regardless, as we tend to do because we are the coolest.

Baldy Road was a human zoo.

Hey, dumbass in the black Nissan Titan pickup truck: I'm driving an ancient van held together with Obabo's hopes and dreams and some welds of questionable penetration. You blew past me on the turnout going downhill. I think you're an assmaster. I'm not gonna die hauling ass in George so you can wait in traffic longer. I can't wait to leave LA. Good lord.

Then again, I used to haul ass up here all the time. I was smart about it, though. I'll still haul ass. I'll fite you IRL.

Anywho, hi guys. Have a good safe year. Be smart. Glimb gooder stuff than last time, but be smart about it and don't get hurt or whatever.

Photos:

We crossed the face from the saddle and climbed up the left side to the north ridge.

There be Patrick!

Glissading down

Some d-bag praising Potat

Run.

This boyo wants me deaf.

Some dank tunes:

On a more serious note, if we don't get enough shnow by the 17th, we will need to change the location of the mountaineering clinic.

Again, have fun and be safe. Push the boat out a bit further, but make sure you sorta know what you're doing, kinda like us. We sorta know what we're doing (until we leave the house). I'm not sure I know what I'm doing when I'm IN the house. Life is hard.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Great shots! Glorious conquest!!!

Once tried to climb Baden-Powell in similar conditions. The 2" of crusty 'powder' over shite ice we found in the ski chute east of the trail wasn't much fun, so we stuck to the trail. Winter mtn'eering in the San Gabes is a real crap shoot, eh? :)
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Fun times out there.
You're right about the human zoo going up Baldy. I was on Sunset Peak for the new year and on the way down I was counting cars. I lost track at Shinn Road but from the Village to there it was about 575 cars going up. Where were they all going to park?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Happy new year!!!
I was glad to see you guys on the trail. The bowl didn't get almost any snow at all from recent storm. But the west bowl and trail above 8200 feet had good amount of snow to the summit still. The summit was very cold and windy.

I am Glad that you guys stayed on Telegraph peak with more snow.

When I got back to Manker, the parking lot looked like a parking lot of local shopping mall in Black Friday. The bumper to bumper traffic continued driving up Mt. Baldy road down from Mountain avenue below the dam.

Looking forward to a fun year.

Shin
P.S. I was able to get back on your board.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy All :)

Great job Taco 8) You and Lilbitmo are a dangerous duo :twisted:

It's good to see Shin posting on the board again 8)

And yes, the traffic situation was, well :shock:

Looking forward to less traffic after this weekend. Hopefully we'll get more snow.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
longcut

Post by longcut »

Where is the like button?

Anyway cool writeup. Thanks for sharing. it helps to see what conditions folks encounter out there when planning adventures.

Adan (tallkan)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'M GONNA BAN YOU SHIN

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thank you ladies and germs, and the fifty thousand genders in between nowadays.
missy

Post by missy »

Some sound advice right there ? keep climbing