Bowling on Baldy 12/18

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy All :)

Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn and I went up the Baldy Bowl yesterday. Trail was well packed from Manker to ski hut (wore microspikes), from there on we were in virgin snow. Donned crampons and ice axes and headed up the right side of the bowl. The snow was wonderful -- I was able to create steps for Sally and Marilyn as we climbed..

As we got higher, the snow became deeper and we started post holing. Upon exiting the bowl and starting the final climb to the summit, we were post holing up to our knees or more. While I prefer nice powder snow to scary ice when I'm climbing, it was exhausting. Going down was also a post hole nightmare. We had lunch out of the wind at our usual spot (8.5 K).

Our friend Martin Parsons arrived as we were finishing lunch. He'd come up Register Ridge and the Devil's Backbone. He was also post holing and, like us, placing his poles in front of him on the snow to extricate himself. He noted that he seemed to have developed Tourette's on the climb to Baldy :lol: Martin broke trail for us back to the rock garden at the bottom of the bowl, which was a blessing as my legs were toast. We were in and out of the clouds all day, it was exquisitely beautiful. Flocked trees, rime ice, hikers in the mist

I've never encountered snow like this on Baldy. Hopefully it will consolidate. Marilyn had suggested that we carry snowshoes in addition to all of other gear -- I didn't think we'd need them :roll: Had a fabulous burger at the Baldy lodge before heading home. Thanks to Sally and Marilyn for buying my dinner and keeping me company on another epic day.

Once Sally posts pictures, I'll add the link.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

Spent the same day over at Icehouse Canyon. It was a beautiful day!

https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=6139
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Went up yesterday. A bit unconsolidated. Should be better in a week. Less coverage then of course, but just move to north facing slopes.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Grandmaster T :)

I'm looking forward to consolidation, just not losing the gorgeous white stuff. Did you get any pictures? Your photos and captions are always priceless.

Howdy All :)

Here are Sally's pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... redirect=1#

That's me in the front up my kneecaps :lol:

Sally's pano:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Aloha my dear! I took some photos with my phone and made em all fancy on instagram, so they're just on Facebook. I hafta figure out a better way than that. No real good shots from me though.

I may go up tomorrow, not sure what for yet, maybe something on Telegraph Peak. I do hope it's a tad more consolidated, but I expect some swimming. :lol:

Cheers