Mt Lukens vis "CR" Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Made two trips to Mt Lukens this weekend. One Mtn Bike from Angeles Crest Highway via Hoyt Mtn and Grizzly Flat roads, The other on "CR" ridge. Summits 1052 and 1053 respectively.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/633495561

We left at first light making good time. I'd not done this in some time and looked back on some rides I'd done in 2011 2hr30min would be average to the summit . I figured it'd be the same or a bit longer.

WRONG! I made 1hr48min Pretty good for a 59yo fatman

We met 2 canyoneers at the trailhead gearing up for a trip down Silver on the side following Chris Brennan's Beta religiously. We pointed out the reasons why Chris used the Hoyt Mtn Trailhead. Suggesting using Cresenta View Trail. This is the Ideal route if one insists on doing SOtS from the top.

You can come up from Big-T dropping into SOtS just above the 1st big drop. You won't miss much except climbing to Mt Lukens for no good reason and dodging lots of falling rocks. Oh well to each his own. I did inquire if they had headlamps as sunset was about 6½hrs off.

Feeling my oats I wanted to try CR ridge the following day
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/634267143

I left out two segments that where nothing but addition elevation gain sticking to the road there and had my MicroSpikes for the steep XC segments.

I started out thinking I could do it a bit under 2 hours but alas that was not to be. 2hrs 7min is respectable especially since the previous trip was 3hrs 6min.

The wind was something else... It was howling on the summit with all the towers becoming more steady as the summit neared. Several gusts hit causing me to utter OH! or WOW! Temps in the upper 40's low 50's are deceptive as wind chill with a 30-40 mph wind Gusts over 50mph certainly no 70mph gusts That have knocked me down on other local mountains.The New Wind Chill Index puts this in the low 40's upper 30's

In my infinite wisdom I wore a long sleeve UA tee shirt and had a Sierra Designs microlight windbreaker/rain jacket. Oh well the climate changes quickly as you descend and get into the sun.

I took Haines Cyn Mtnwy to Old Mt Lukens Tr about 1/10th mile before reaching the trail my right calf started cramping. It just wouldn't give it up. I hobbled back. Old Mt Lukens Tr was littered with dead 'trees" blown down in the wind storm. No one will be racing down there on Mtn Bikes until they are removed.

No photos where worth taking
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Summits 1052 and 1053 respectively.
Holy hell dude. :shock: Over what period of time?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

1996 to 2006 I kept track of 1000 trips

or an average of 1.9 trips per week for 10 years.

It is certainly more but I can say with confidence 1000 times to the highest point on Mt Lukens over that period.

I've been slacking since then with only 53 in the last eight years