What do you think of smartphone topo maps?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Trailblazr80

Post by Trailblazr80 »

May have been asked before, just wondering what everyone thinks about smartphone offline topo map apps. Anyone ever tried any? I would assume they are ok for day hikes, nothing too extended. I've seen a few advertised and was curious on their productivity. My friend used hers when we did Mt. Lawlor, and it seemed pretty good.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I use Backcountry navigator on android . I have stopped using my garmin. I have learned to manage the battery and make it last all day. ( in airplane mode, and not recording a track) You can use the usgs, usfs, google sat images, caltopo maps etc. It was free to try and 9.99 to buy. Only app i ever bought, best $10 ever spent.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

I use "TopoMaps" and "Gaia" on my iphone. They rock. Hard.
rck

Post by rck »

The only bad thing in using Apps is eating the batteries. Like HVYDRT mention they do seem to drain them. I have to try the airplane mode to see if that works for me. I was going to carry a Morphie to charge the battery once it gets low. Took a hike the other day and the other hikers phone was drained and he was tracking our trail I used my GPS. Currently use the All Trails app on short hikes but thinking on changing once I get the battery issue figured out. Thanks for the tip hvydrt.

Rick
Bobcat22

Post by Bobcat22 »

My iPhone goes through power like crazy when I use something like Map my Run but I just bought a small solar charger, so it can keep it going as long as I need to.

Thanks for the app suggestions. I don't want to buy a GPS at the moment and as I usually buy and carry a map with me of the area I am at, I think I am fine for now. However something like an app for my phone would be nice.
missy

Post by missy »

I use an app called "PDF maps" on my iPhone. I just get the topo map I need (sometimes free in their store), then download the KMZ file and its perfect! I have gotten through overnighters with that app. Haven't invested in a solar powered electronic charger yet, but its been very good for medium-advanced adventures. I keep my phone on airplane mode and only use it if I really need to see if I'm on track. Even without cell reception, it can detect pretty accurately where I am.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've got an Android based phone. Seems like Backcountry Navigator is the recommended app; it's what I use anyway. Works well but the battery gets eaten quickly if I'm recording tracks.

I also have a Garmin eTrex 20 that I use to record tracks. I really like recording tracks so I can refer to them later.

My most recent: Mt. Williamson and Peak 8160+ done with my daughter, age 5.

HJ
dima

Post by dima »

missy wrote: Even without cell reception, it can detect pretty accurately where I am.
Cell service is only useful to speed up the initial fix. Past that it gets you nothing.
missy

Post by missy »

dima wrote:
Cell service is only useful to speed up the initial fix. Past that it gets you nothing.
Location Services on the Iphone use information from cellular, Wi-Fi, and GPS networks to determine approximate location. So even minimal reception, its able to tell me where I am, which is pretty amazing!