Rattlesnake Peak via East Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I haven't been to Rattlesnake in a while and decided it was time for another visit. In addition I was curious to see the damage of the most recent fire as well as the one preceding it. I got to the TH a tad late and was surprised to see most of the small lot filled. I have hiked here numerous times and I'm usually the only car in the lot. I was thinking well it looks like I'll have a nice group to meet up with somewhere on the trail. Instead about a 1/4 mile in I noticed a fellow sitting in a chair partially concealed on the side of the fire road with his gun on his back. Hunting season is alive and well on Shoemaker Road.

I have never seen so many hunters and most of them were damn lazy just hanging on the side of the road for some poor sucker who would amble by. I was happy that I was wearing a bright yellow shirt and that I had a flashlight which I shone in the tunnel just in case a numbskull was waiting nearby for something to walk out that could be shot. I must've passed 10-15 hunters during the day out it was ridiculous.

The day itself was hotter then I would've liked but I figured it would get cooler once I started to climb the ridge. The first section affected by the recent fire is immediately after the second tunnel. This section until right after the gully burned. Unfortunately crossing the gully is now more difficult and I foresee with some nice rains it will become even more problematic since this gully will drain all of the burn areas run off.

After this point there is no burn area affecting the trail until you're quite high up on the ridge which is fortunate as the route seemed to be in poorer shape then the last time I was here about three years ago.

The climb up the ridge is unrelenting, brushy, and with lots of loose rock and dirt. The lower section with the heat really did a number on me and I was feeling it when I reached the middle section. This used to be the least steep section but the most brushy. Fortunately this was the area that was completely burned by the fire and is now an easy stroll along the ridge. On the north side at this point there were some beautiful trees that did not get burned which I was happy to see.

The final section of the ridge has two last steep climb ups that are a mix of dirt and rock that seem to take forever. I finally hit the top in about three hours and had a well deserved rest on top. Few parties have been up there recently with the last two weeks ago. The views were amazing and I enjoy the vantage of Iron very much from here as you get the full relief from the ESG canyon.

From here I followed the standard route back and had a chance to see that this entire route had been burnt by the earlier fire. The growth is still minimal and the trail has become more rocky and indistinct but a massive improvement to the east ridge. My favorite section of this route is Fang and the relatively narrow rock ridge that you get to cross compared to the rest.

I finally made the turn off the main ridge and headed east towards the fire road. Some sections of the trail were already bathed in shadow which was a welcome respite from the constant beating of the sun that I had earlier. The triangle pyramid got closer and closer until I was on the higher fire road and finally scrambling down the last section back to Shoemaker and the hunter posses.

A great day in the mountains with a little too much heat but it was nice to reacquaint myself with a peak I''ve always enjoyed, my little rattler.
missy

Post by missy »

David R wrote: Instead about a 1/4 mile in I noticed a fellow sitting in a chair partially concealed on the side of the fire road with his gun on his back. Hunting season is alive and well on Shoemaker Road.

I have never seen so many hunters and most of them were damn lazy just hanging on the side of the road for some poor sucker who would amble by. I was happy that I was wearing a bright yellow shirt and that I had a flashlight which I shone in the tunnel just in case a numbskull was waiting nearby for something to walk out that could be shot. I must've passed 10-15 hunters during the day out it was ridiculous.
You hiked Rattlesnake Peak on the very last day of hunting season. Many eager hunters getting in their last chance to magically kill something. Same happened to me, but it was hunting opening season and they were everywhere.

Rattlesnake Peak was also on my to do list last week but I failed to get up early. That can definitely be a hot one even in a 80 degree day. Love that trek!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. I've been curious about that ridge and might try it this winter. Do you have any pictures?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks for the update. I was also curious about the fire damage and whether it was open or had been subject to a fire closure. I like Rattlesnake Peak, too, but I think we are in the minority.