Backcountry bobcat

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Gorgeous shots, CM! You sure those weren't taken at the Natural History Museum? :)

New equipment?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wow...getting all fancy on us! Nice!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Amazing shots CM. But since you didn't copyright that first image, Ima use it without permission or attribution. He, he. :twisted:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Uncle Rico wrote: Amazing shots CM. But since you didn't copyright that first image, Ima use it without permission or attribution. He, he. :twisted:
Oh noes! There goes my career as a professional bobcat photographer! :lol:

This is a custom camera rig that Denis (Vermenton) built. A Canon 40D with two off-camera flashes. I waited 6 months for a particular @#4*(!! lion to walk by - before this camera was there he came through at least once a month. But nooooo. :roll: Anyway the bobcat was a nice consolation prize. I've moved the camera nearby to where I was seeing the lion's tracks recently. Now I'll just wait some more!

Denis also got a shot recently of a gray fox with a gray squirrel in its mouth! Darn squirrel was almost as big as the fox! I didn't know they were such good hunters.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

cougarmagic wrote: This is a custom camera rig that Denis (Vermenton) built. A Canon 40D with two off-camera flashes. I waited 6 months for a particular @#4*(!! lion to walk by - before this camera was there he came through at least once a month. But nooooo. :roll: Anyway the bobcat was a nice consolation prize. I've moved the camera nearby to where I was seeing the lion's tracks recently. Now I'll just wait some more!

Denis also got a shot recently of a gray fox with a gray squirrel in its mouth! Darn squirrel was almost as big as the fox! I didn't know they were such good hunters.
Wow! What's the power source for the flash units? Do you have to check the camera frequently because of low battery issues?

Also, judging by the shadows, how far away are the flashes and at what angles are they positioned?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Just four AA batteries inside, no external power. They last about three weeks, unless there is a whole lot of activity (like meddlesome bears).

The flashes are about 6 to 8 feet away from the cat. Maybe two feet off the ground, one on either side of the camera about 4 feet to the side.

We tried three flashes here for a while. I thought I could do some interesting things, lighting up the tree in the back for a splash of interest, but I never got it to work. Also, the camera fires off a 6 shot per second burst, and it's very hard for the flashes to recycle that fast, so as the batteries get lower, we tend to get only maybe 2 shots that are well lit out of the 6. Denis is always looking into modifications though so I expect in the next few months he'll come up with something that works even better. It's fun stuff!

Trying to figure out ISO, shutter speed, etc when you have no idea what time of day or where exactly your subject is going to come by is kind of ridiculously difficult.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Two words: Professional Grade
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Stunning! Absolutely stunning!!
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

That first picture makes a really nice wallpaper background on my wide monitor at work. :wink:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

atomicoyote wrote: That first picture makes a really nice wallpaper background on my wide monitor at work. :wink:
That makes me super happy!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Incredible shots. Cat looks like she was posing for the shots.