kratka ridge to Mt. Waterman traverse 08/02/14

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

I've been meaning to put out some trip reports and I finally found the time so here goes.

This route follows Kratka Ridge and is mostly cross country with some trail sections. I did this route east to west.

starting up the trail from Angeles Crest Highway

right away you enter a zone of amazing trees

some shaped by weather into beautiful bonsai sculpture

highway 39 in the distance

nearby rain clouds eventually moved in on me and I had to seek shelter at Vista picnic area under the awning of the outhouse

before not too long the weather moved along and I was on my way

the Kratka single chair

view of Kratka from Waterman

the Waterman chair

more rain moving in, time to go
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

One of my favorite areas is between Kratka and Waterman. Thanks for the pictures!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Do you have a track of the traverse west of the lift on Kratka to Waterman? I tried to follow the ridgeline the entire way, but ended up at the exit to Buckhorn. There is a big drop on the actual ridge that seemed like trouble.
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

Sean wrote: Thanks for the report. Do you have a track of the traverse west of the lift on Kratka to Waterman? I tried to follow the ridgeline the entire way, but ended up at the exit to Buckhorn. There is a big drop on the actual ridge that seemed like trouble.
sorry no track, at the saddle I continued southwest uphill past the remnants of what appears to be an old ski rope tow and eventually the ridgeline. Following that ridgeline to where it meets the Waterman trail. Its a really nice section once your on the ridgeline. I hope that helps.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Pics from my stroll in the area...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hikeup_pa ... 743640462/

That big dip just west of Kratka is steep on both sides of the low point, especially on the west side...where the rope tow and old building are located. West of that it is an easy stroll. TR...

https://eispiraten.com/f ... 0-asc-.php
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Anarchist - been meaning to tell you how much I liked your photos! Really captures the terrain and overall feel of the area... thanks for taking the time to post 'em...

Hike up - I remember you posting those TR photos - checked them again, so many great shots but i REALLY love these two

:shock: