9/21 Three T's Hike

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

This Sunday was my first decent hike in a while with all the heat and family home for the summer. I decided that the Three T's is something I haven't done in a while so it was time. I got my usual late start at 9 and hit rush hour going up IHC. I didn't notice major changes to the trail other then the crossing over Telegraph Wash from the monsoonal deluge but that area seems to always be changing every couple of years.

I had decided to not push and try to keep a steady pace for the whole hike. I reached IH saddle at about 1:25 into the hike. There was a large crowd there who was just starting out on the next section of their hike which was fortunately towards Cucamonga. I chose the direct ridge route up to Timber and was there 2 hours into the hike. I met another couple who were the only other people who were also doing the 3 T's route from IHC and had the foresight to stash bikes at Manker Flats. I met them again by Telegraph.

From there I dropped directly off Timber down a sometimes steep slope to the saddle between Telegraph. I started up and met two young ladies hiking up and soon met two other ladies who had just finished Telegraph coming down. This was getting embarrassing all the hard ass hikers I was meeting were women where was the XY representation?

I decided to knock off False Telegraph which I had never been to before and it is definitely worth the short side trip, great views towards the south. At 3:15 I got to Telegraph and had it to myself. There was a register there in a new can but with no top so it won't last long. I examined the east ridge coming up from Lytle Creek which as a route interests me.

I was still feeling pretty good energy wise but I did notice that my feet were a bit tender, my calluses had worn down from all the easy living I had been doing the past two months. The hike to Thunder gives you a great view of the awesome west face of Telegraph. The hike up to Thunder is easy and once there a bit depressing. I got there four hours into the hike.

At the top of Thunder I am pretty sure I met the legendary Rick Kent. I didn't want to be a fan boy and ask him what his name was but based on appearance and the length of his hike as we chatted I'm pretty sure it was him. From here the hike sucks as I decided to take the fire road down versus my first inclination of Big Butch Wash due to the tenderness of my feet. Once I reached the parking lot I decided to just hoof it the rest of the way down the road, I have trust issues and don't think I could ever ask anyone for a hitch unless it was absolutely necessary.

The weather was beyond fantastic with it being quite cool in the morning and the afternoon having nice cooling breezes. It really felt like an early fall day. The whole hike was between 14-15 miles in six hours with just over 5,000 feet elevation gain. I took exactly zero photos. :roll:
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

What were the switchbacks going up to Telegraph from Timber like? Other reports have a section of them as totally washed out. Have any repairs been made? Maybe enough hikers have covered the ground to stomp out a trail? Thank you for any information!
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

The trail up to Telegraph from Timber from my memory was always a bit narrow. There are some obvious places where there has been erosion but nothing significant. There was only one drainage that had washed out the smallest section of trail and was easily hopped over with zero exposure. I'm by nature pretty cautious and did not feel like any section of the trail was not readily passable by the average hiker.
sesshin

Post by sesshin »

Stashing bikes is a great idea. I'll have to do that.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Who is it that gets up there and repairs the trails? They did a great job on Ice House Canyon after the floods. I wonder if they also did Timber to Telegraph or if that was just a new path beaten down by hikers?