Water at Ski Hut (Baldy Bowl)?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, Dav,

Thanks. It was a really nice day to be out on the mountain.

I saw some canyoneering types at SA falls on the way out. I was wondering if it were anyone I knew.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There are actually three water sources near the ski hut. I've put up a post in the general discussion section with the details: Water Sources at the Ski Hut.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Nice meeting you and Joyce, and thanks for the food sample!
We drank from and filled up at the stream just past the hut where the trail crosses over to the "rock garden" section.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, Jeff,

Great to meet you. I guess I stand out a little bit -- not too many other guys schlepping a 3 year old up the side of a mountain. :lol:

I thought the mexican rice with chicken I served you was OK, but just OK. First time I had tried it. Next time you run into me, I hope I'll be trying something better or doing one of my specialties.

HJ
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

Excellent info, thanks, Jim!

There's the question of whether you can ever get stuck without water there in late fall, in a dry year. I was there Sep. 2, 2012, which was early fall in a year of extremely low snow, and there was good flow. I talked about this to Pavel, who is local, has a key to the hut, and spends a lot of time there. He says that the water never stops flowing through the hut all year, even in a dry year (the sink doesn't even have taps to shut it off!), but that in exceptional conditions the flow outside may sometimes get very weak and be difficult to collect. I don't know if this applies to all the spots you described. I think basically the hut's pipes divert a bunch of the water and then spill it back out somewhere downhill.
everyday

Post by everyday »

you guys dont just take a couple waterbottles? When i go there, even the long way from the village, i have more than enough water if i bring 2 24oz and my 1 handheld 20oz. ive never even thought of refilling anywhere, and that was taking the long way in late june and early july. You must be some thirsty people!
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

everyday wrote: you guys dont just take a couple waterbottles? When i go there, even the long way from the village, i have more than enough water if i bring 2 24oz and my 1 handheld 20oz. ive never even thought of refilling anywhere, and that was taking the long way in late june and early july. You must be some thirsty people!
Wow, that's over 4 lbs of water! Why would you want to carry all that extra weight for no reason? If I'm doing Baldy via the ski hut, typically I would carry a single 12-oz water bottle, refilling it if necessary.
everyday

Post by everyday »

it doesnt seem heavy to me at all. but im used to running with water.and i dont bring anything else with me , except a sandwich and some cashews and chapstick. my pack is normally waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy smaller than the ones i see hikers carry. its only weight is the water, theres nothing else in it after i eat at the top. and all the water is almost gone by then too, so my run down is with a totally empty tiny running pack.
on runs at home, i carry only some juice, i do fill up at the creeks where I live and carry less with me. but theres tons of water there everywhere so no worries , even in summer
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

How is the flow these days at the hut?
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

anyone been up lately?

very dry in the los padres.

same down there?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Internet:

http://calihike.blogspot.com/2013/06/da ... i-hut.html

No mention of the Ski Hut water, but the falls are still flowing.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Yes there was nice cool water flowing at the Ski Hut last weekend.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

asbufra wrote: Yes there was nice cool water flowing at the Ski Hut last weekend.
thanks!
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

The spring flowing at the ski hut creek this afternoon. The water was cool and delicious.
nickrp

Post by nickrp »

Morning all,
Anyone know what the water situation is right now up on the ski hut trail? specifically the spring just by the ski hut. looking to hike it next weekend and would like to know if there will be water on the trail.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

nickrp,

The one above the hut I've never seen completely dry in all the years I've been going up there, the one below the hut I would never trust, it's downhill from the "pit toilet" that is behind the hut, you should be fine.

Enjoy :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Here's a reference with photos for the three water sources around the Ski Hut:
https://eispiraten.com/v ... php?t=4873

I agree with lilbitmo: The upper source is the one to go to.

HJ
Hiker Phil

Post by Hiker Phil »

I was up there about a month ago. Water was flowing fine.

PY
nickrp wrote: Morning all,
Anyone know what the water situation is right now up on the ski hut trail? specifically the spring just by the ski hut. looking to hike it next weekend and would like to know if there will be water on the trail.
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

The stream above is flowing. Drink up...
taktical

Post by taktical »

I've never seen the stream by the Ski Hut on the Baldy Bowl Trail run dry but I was wondering if anyone can confirm that it is flowing right now? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
longcut

Post by longcut »

water is plentiful. I collected water a couple hundred feet above the hut last weekend and it was flowing well. the first spring, (not the middle one where the outhouse sits, yuck), but the little one just before that, is a trickle but usable as well.
taktical

Post by taktical »

Thank you for the 411!
longcut wrote: water is plentiful. I collected water a couple hundred feet above the hut last weekend and it was flowing well. the first spring, (not the middle one where the outhouse sits, yuck), but the little one just before that, is a trickle but usable as well.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

longcut wrote: the first spring, (not the middle one where the outhouse sits, yuck)
Wimp. :)

HJ
rck

Post by rck »

^ Yup what he said. cluck cluck :D
hikeman

Post by hikeman »

hi,

1. Any water at the stream that flows by the hut?

thank you
cab

Post by cab »

Yes, plenty.
hikeman

Post by hikeman »

cab wrote: Yes, plenty.
Thank you very much Cab for the info. I have never seen that stream go dry
BUT I have seen it go flat --- meaning that it just barely flows over the rocks so you can not stick a water bottle and fill it up...

thank you
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bring a shallow cup to scoop with. A Sierra Cup works well in this regard. I've used a spoon in a pinch.

HJ