If you could put a cabin anywhere in the San Gabriel Mtns...

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

... where would you plunk it ?

This fantasy land question is mainly based on the view you would have - so forget crowds or how tough it would be to get there with a case of beer and a sack full of burritos...

Until I find that perfectly framed Ice House Canyon photo/location, I think I'd want to sit on a little front porch and enjoy this view... (along the way to the top of Baldy)

(This photo and lots of other great ones of this area found here)

http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2013 ... baldy.html
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Pallett BM, west of Burkhart Saddle
Summit of West Twin
The overlook west of Guffy on the Blue Ridge Rd.

...and those are my non-secret spots! :)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I REALLY like this idea. But I'll have to think about it, and find a photo when I decide on my spot. The Switzer Chapel site is the first that comes to mind, but then I love Mt Waterman too. hmmm.....
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Tom stole my idea of Pallett, so I'll take Will Thrall Peak. Neighbors!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Deep in Fish Fork, so I can grow tons of pot and shoot automatic weapons and only the coolest of coolguys can come and do the same. ;)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Ima put my cabin up here and drop down the ridge occasionally to visit Taco man and barter burritos for some of Fish Forks' finest green.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

cougarmagic wrote: I REALLY like this idea. But I'll have to think about it, and find a photo when I decide on my spot. The Switzer Chapel site is the first that comes to mind, but then I love Mt Waterman too. hmmm.....
I like that Switzer Chapel Cabin idea... Some interesting/dramatic topography would make for some nice sights...

Still hard for me to believe there were a few cabins around the Inspiration Point area in the '50s... must have been strange to look out at all those city lights and turn around and look into the darkness of the forest.

Also in that area, I wouldn't mind peering down into the San Gabe's Grand Canyon via the comfort of a cabin...

And wasn't it you cougarmagic that wrote about finding some cabin foundations at the bottom of Grand Canyon ? Coincidentally, I just found this cool bit of Grand Canyon info written by Rmac10 on summitpost.org:

"I remember going cross-country through the bottom of this canyon one afternoon in the '50s. As we proceeded up-canyon we encountered three intact cabins not visited in decades. We found magazines from the '30s in one of the cabins that we chose to spend the night in. I am sure the cabins are long gone now."

Musta' been fun....
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Uncle Rico wrote:
Ima put my cabin up here and drop down the ridge occasionally to visit Taco man and barter burritos for some of Fish Forks' finest green.
Awwwwwwwwwww yeuh! 8)
turtle

Post by turtle »

I understood this question to be a "fantasy land" hypothetical. Why do I get the feeling these will be the last forum posts we see from Taco and Uncle Rico? :shock:

Unless Uncle Rico can get a WiFi hotspot going up there on Pine Mountain...

I of course have no choice but to build my cabin on Turtle's Beak. :D
walker

Post by walker »

Rico's view has just about every major peak in the whole range in one line of sight. Killer.

So many great places to choose from, but here's a nice spot. This is the view from the front porch:

The view out back, beside the barbecue on the back deck:

AW~

Post by AW~ »

I wouldnt want a cabin in the best spots cause I think that would ruin em.

Maybe a cabin here in the Big Tujunga courtesy of the environmental 'protection' by the Forest Service and Judy Chu coalition.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Somewhere on the northern side of the range where its not as populated, amybe west of the Mountain High area. I'd rather see the moring sunrise over the desert landscape than the southern side's views of endless suburban sprawl. It'd be nice and quiet so I can drink beer and wine in peace. It'd also be good for open shooting; maybe have a nice .22 target rifle for practicing on beer cans/wine bottles and stray rodents, and a multi-round shotgun for safety purposes (not for bears of cougars, just the unsavory human element). I'd need some solar power, too, for wifi (gotta stay connected to the SGMDF BB, right? :wink: ) and hooking up a guitar amp (not an electric guitar, but an acoustic with an active pick-up).
cahikr

Post by cahikr »

Tom Kenney wrote: Pallett BM, west of Burkhart Saddle
Summit of West Twin
The overlook west of Guffy on the Blue Ridge Rd.

...and those are my non-secret spots! :)
This general area would also be my choice or further east near Williamson.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Is that Patrol Base Chu? :lol: