Buckhorn?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Is Buckhorn Campground open again? Looking at the ANF website it appears to be. If anyone has been recently, how is the campground? Are the improvements noticeable? Appreciable?
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Buckhorn is open. The road has new asphalt. Great handicap camping spots. New restrooms. New bear lockers. Same sites all around. Good stuff though. Very beautiful down there.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Are the Lemon Lillies blooming down by the spring near(ish) to the trailhead? Man, I love those things.

HJ
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Are the Lemon Lillies blooming down by the spring near(ish) to the trailhead? Man, I love those things.

HJ
They certainly were in bloom. Stunning & beautiful for about a 30 or 40 ft stretch were there looks to be springs or water seeping out of the hill. I was on this trail today almost to Buckhart Saddle. Rock slide city on the far side (around the bend) of the trail after the Rattlesnake Junction and before the last water cross (dry in summer).
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JDB22 wrote: They certainly were in bloom. Stunning & beautiful for about a 30 or 40 ft stretch were there looks to be springs or water seeping out of the hill.
Just the stretch I was thinking of. Hmm. Maybe I and a certain botanically minded hiking companion of mine can get out there this weekend...

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Went up to Buckhorn yesterday with my daughter. Everything looks like it's in good shape in the campground. New signage makes it a snap to get to the Burkhart Trail. The new restrooms are a definite improvement. Some of the old ones were getting pretty foul. There's now a restroom at the trail head. Add a water faucet and I'll say something nice about ANF. :wink:

The lemon lillies are a little past their prime but worth a look. Water is available at the spring (where the lilies are), in Cooper Canyon, and in Littlerock Creek although it's clearly a dry year.

HJ
obie

Post by obie »

Anyone been to Buckhorn recently? We're thinking of driving ACH and thought might as well bring the tent. Bringing the dogs too. All's well up there?

- Thx!