FS3N17 AKA Santa Clara Divide Road

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
missy

Post by missy »

So last week I mountain biked the FS3N17 AKA Santa Clara Divide Road across the Angeles National Forest. Started at Three Points (Horse Flats) off of Angeles Crest Highway and ended at Bear Divide, Little Tujunga Canyon in the Western San Gabriel Mtns. (45 miles, 5300+ ft gain) It was quite an epic adventure. Got to see the the terrain unfold from mountain to mountain which most don't usually see. (FS3N17 has been closed to vehicles since 2009)

Three points at 6 in the Morn’

Started off with some pavement passing Rosenita Saddle, Horse Flats Campground, Bandido Campground, etc (maybe not in the order).

We descended until we hit a closed off gate where the pavement turned into dirt, and already our first climb.

It was a long climb

Guess what peak?

Generally the road was smooth/a bit rocky, but I can see how this is for off-road vehicles. It really hurt my bum tho after 45 miles, in a hard-tail bike, and not having ridden in about a year lol.

Crossing the spur rd that takes you to Pacifico Campground. Just hiked up to the mountain a few weeks back, SO BEAUTIFUL!

But this time I continued on and kept on climbing, and then started descending into Mill Creek Summit.

Passing the turnout that says Mill Creek Helliport and Rabbit Peak

Crossed Big Tujunga Rd. Im sure that Antonio, the construction-traffic-controller is sick of seeing me here haha

I crossed Big Tujunga rd where the Santa Clara Divide rd continues. Here its better known as Gleason Rd. Its a very steep pavement climb to camp 16/and Mt. Gleason.

Fixing Flat 1 out of 2

Approaching the memorial for the two firefighters, Arnie Quinones and Tall Hall, who were killed during the 2009 Station Fire. 8/30/09.

When we were paying our respects, two firemen arrived with two truck loads of women inmates. I guess they were showing them around Camp 16. We were fortunate enough to get to listen to a first-hand account with what happened here during the Station Fire.
The canyon in which the two firefighters during the station fire passed away. I believe they backed up their truck

BTW- the five year anniversary of the 2009 Station Fire is coming up. The end of August. Its a possibility that they will open up Gleason Rd for the friends/family members who want to come up to the memorial 8/30/14.

Quite eerie to pass through Camp 16. Very crazy how everything that was burnt in there was never removed. I wonder if they are ever gonna remove everything…..

These helicopters were bringing in stuff. Man those pilots are skilled!

After camp 16, there was even MORE climbing to get Mt. Gleason. You follow an abandoned rd to get up there and the grade was stupid steep.

You follow another path to get to Gleason summit

Some weird stuff up here
Earth Scope Project- a GPS monitoring station that collects data for info on earthquakes/volcanic activity.

The old Cabin

Heading back to the road, we hit miles and miles of quick descending on sandy and rocky terrain.

Passing the famous Messenger Flats and Lightning Campgrounds (both still closed)

Ending up at North Fork, an old Firestation/Ranger Station. Some private resident lives there now who works with the Forest Service. Said we still had about 14 miles and 2000+/- ft to go.I was dead at the point.

This resident was kind enough to leave some fresh tasting water out. I guess he knows if your ended up up here, you’ve been going for awhile

Desperately charging our devices at North Fork with these old school computers. LOL!

We continued the Climb on, passing Magic Mtn

Dont look back! Oh no yes you did

Finally the last easy 7 miles descending pavement to the car that was left at Bear Divide.

A very unique experience that would be much tougher on foot. Loved experiencing higher country to low terrain and having many nice experiences in the way. :)

Strava
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Great trip! Thanks for sharing it. Lots of miles - jeez.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Awesome route, so much variety. Looks to be recovering well, too. Thanks for the report :D
zarka

Post by zarka »

Great trip report. I have been thinking about doing a portion of that road on a biking camping trip. We have recently been to Lightning Point and Mt. Pacifico campgrounds and Messenger flat, and all three of them survived the fire and are in great shape.

One correction: where Santa Clara Divide Road crosses Mill Creek Summit, the road is Angeles Forest Highway. Big T road ends back near Josephine Creek and dumps you on AFH.
missy

Post by missy »

zarka wrote: One correction: where Santa Clara Divide Road crosses Mill Creek Summit, the road is Angeles Forest Highway. Big T road ends back near Josephine Creek and dumps you on AFH.
I stand corrected. I thought of them as interchangeable haha.

I've so wanted to always do a biking camping trip too!!! Hopefully soon :-D
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Thanks much for sharing! That's a burly 1-day ride!

I frequently ride various sections of that road, and was just on the section from Magic to Indian Canyon a couple weeks back. The spring near the top of Indian Canyon still has a decent flow.

Here's a TR from 15 years ago:

Mount Gleason Tour

The Pacifico segment has been graded several times since the fire, but I don't think they will re-open it any time soon. Too many snags on the slope above Mill Creek Summit, and they are falling often.
missy

Post by missy »

Tom Kenney wrote:

Mount Gleason Tour
Tom-
On your Mount Gleason Tour- that was a fantastic read! Bike-camping is something I’d love to do around Gleason. I’d also like to explore more of Mendenhall Ridge Road as well since I’ve never stepped foot (except from Dillions Divide to head down into Daggers Flat). I like your " magical drivetrain” and wish I can configure my mtn bike like that. Much to explore around the western san gabriel mtns and finding those fresh springs with a decent flow is nice esp with these hot summer days.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

missy wrote:
Tom Kenney wrote:

Mount Gleason Tour
Tom-
On your Mount Gleason Tour- that was a fantastic read! Bike-camping is something I’d love to do around Gleason. I’d also like to explore more of Mendenhall Ridge Road as well since I’ve never stepped foot (except from Dillions Divide to head down into Daggers Flat). I like your " magical drivetrain” and wish I can configure my mtn bike like that. Much to explore around the western san gabriel mtns and finding those fresh springs with a decent flow is nice esp with these hot summer days.
Mendenhall is in MUCH better shape right now than I've ever seen it. It used to be mostly scree, and a challenge to ride up or down. Several neat side trails to explore: Pacoima Cyn (Dagger is one), Trail Canyon and Condor Peak, Yerba Buena. About half the pines were burned, but the oaks that burned are making a quick comeback. Saw lots of bear poop back there, too!

One neat way to do Mendenhall is to park at the Sun Valley MetroLink and take the train to Acton, then ride up Angeles Forest Hwy to Mill Creek Summit, over Gleason, and all the way down Mendenhall and Little Tujunga, and along Foothill back to the station.

The 'magical drivetrain' was Cooks 181mm cranks with 20-32-44 rings, with XT 11-34 cassette on the rear. You'd have to scrounge a bit to duplicate this. I haven't run a setup like this for 10 years because it's hard (and/or expensive) to find cranks that fit a 20T and also fit modern BB spindles.

Cheers!
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

awesome ride and great TR, thanks for sharing it.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Cool ride. Your pictures show a lot of terrain in the western Gabes I've never seen. Thanks!