Mt. Muir with one essential

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Kinda slow around here, so I'll contribute something.

Mount Muir is #8 on the Sierra Club Great Lower Peaks list. It sits (sort of) between Echo Mountain and Mt. Lowe overlooking Castle Canyon. I chose to approach it from the north at Eaton Saddle so I could do a canyon style hike with the gain on return.

While driving the 90+ minutes through LA traffic, I wondered if this hike would be worth it. I just wasn't feeling it. When I got to Eaton Saddle, I got out of the car, opened my back door and realized I had left my pack at home. It was Friday the 13th and this hike just got interesting. I pride myself on preparation and sometimes overpack. Now, I had none of the water I packed, no food, no GPS, no map, no first aid kit, no lighting, no sunscreen, no extra clothing, no compass, no knife, and no way to make fire. I also didn't have my drivers license, credit cards, or money. I did have my trekking pole and my phone so I could document whatever disaster might unfold. I usually have spare water in my trunk, so I opened the trunk and guzzled 16oz of water, then took two more 16oz water bottles to carry with me. The hike was less than 7 miles and now it was more of a challenge. I was energized.

I jogged up the road and passed through the Mueller Tunnel. My mind immediately started messing with me. My mouth was dry and I was thirsty already. I denied myself any water until I was past Mt. Markham, and then only sips. I felt light without the missing pack and moved quickly. I cruised past the junction to the Mt. Lowe summit and was on new trail for me. As I rounded Mt. Lowe, I could see Inspiration Point across the canyon. The final descent was somewhat steep and I knew it would be harder coming back. I paused a minute at the 4-way intersection of trails to check the signs, then made it to Inspiration Point in minutes. Four people were lounging there enjoying the views. I trotted down the road toward Mount Muir and before long, found the summit trail and was on top of Muir in one hour flat.

Inside Mueller

Descending Mt. Lowe toward Inspiration Point

Inspiration Point

Summit trail

Mt. Muir summit with bonus candle holder

I found no benchmark or register, just a wooden stake at the summit and a round candle holder. There were great views of the urban sprawl, Verdugo Mountains, and the multi-peak Wilson area. With no food and no reason to linger, I turned back. I was still nursing my first bottle and only finished it when I started up the steep section of Mt. Lowe East trail. On the way up Mt. Lowe, I cracked open my second bottle of water and knew I would make it without any trouble. Why do I bother carrying a backpack again? I slowed my pace around Mt. Markham and noticed all the poodle dog bush I had rushed past before. Pretty and dangerous. I nursed the last bottle of water back to the car and wondered if I would have had as much fun if I hadn't forgotten my pack.

Pano from Mt. Muir

Back up Mt. Lowe

Poodle dog bush on the side of Mt. Markham
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Welcome to the minimalists' club! Next you'll be doing cross-country in hiking sandals and shorts.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Sean,

I think it was a one time thrill for me, but I have a better appreciation for minimalists!
brian2014

Post by brian2014 »

Hi,

With all due respect, Mount Muir is 14,015 located on Mt. Whitney crest trail and Muir Peak 4,688' in located near Inspiration Point and below Mt. Lowe 5,600'. I too have mixed these up in the past. I still hope to summit Mount Muir. Most folks on my hikes forget their hiking poles but yours is an interesting trip report. Mount Lowe is my closest and highest peak within 20 miles of my home. it is a great cool weather area. Last time I did it was June 2014 in 100 degrees at the finish. Every person ran out of water before finishing. It can be a dangerous local hike in the summer. Glad to hear you had your water in the trunk. It's always the first and last essential. Thanks for posting.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

whiskey tango foxtrot
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Had a variation on teke's 1 essential trip today. Made a run up Big T Canyon to the junction with ACH with the intent to drop into Shortcut Canyon and make my way to Devore trail camp. When I got out of the car, I realized I had all the essentials except footware. Standing there in my flip-flops, I realized I wasn't even close to being Cucamonga Man, so I had to turn tail and head for the lowlands. :?

Lots of hunters in Upper Big T. Didn't see anyone with a deer.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Rico,

I would have bailed with flip flops, too. Haha, Sean has a "50 shades of gray" relationship with his feet. It works for him.