Former 'Opid's Camp' - just sitting there..... what if...

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

If Im not mistaken the Long Beach Unified School District will most likely never reopen Camp Hi Hill Outdoor school (the former site of 'Opid's)..............

So please allow me to continue with this super-sized fantasy post :wink:

I know many 'Leave No Trace' folks wouldn't want to see 'Opid's Camp' (or any camp) return to it's glory days --- but it sure seems odd that a place like 'Opid's' and all it's amenities, including a big swimming pool, will never serve any purpose - it will most likely just sit there...

Aside from the LBUSD having no funds to run it as an outdoor school, it seems it's been tagged as a fire trap too...

Call me crazy, it wouldn't be the first or last time I've heard it, but I sure would like to see Opid's make a comeback... there's a great dining hall, plenty of 'cabins' for folks to rent, either individual or as groups... hopefully the pool is in good shape... even the Mesa area could be put to use...

Continuing with my fantasy, ASSuming the LBUSD would sell the propert, would the forest service even entertain the idea of allow an Opid's return ??

I'm not sure what is more of a waste - the time it took to write this post or Opid's just sitting there collecting pine needles... it's such a great location imo, I wish old times could come back again... don't forget your swimming trunks

fortified

Post by fortified »

I googled, and google earthed, and all I came up with is how much rain in Opid's camp. But alas. I find it is camp Hi-hill, formerly known as opids camp.
Looks like a great place. I wonder...... if one is taking a two day hike.... can you sneak in to sleep for the night?
tracker

Post by tracker »

It's a nice place, if my memory from 1969 is accurate. We didn't get to use the pool as my class's session was was in the winter. Where was Long Beach's other school camp, Camp Owongo?
OutdoorAbstract

Post by OutdoorAbstract »

tracker wrote: It's a nice place, if my memory from 1969 is accurate. We didn't get to use the pool as my class's session was was in the winter. Where was Long Beach's other school camp, Camp Owongo?
My class was also at Owongo winter '69. Lots of fun with snow and other merriment. Also lots of amazement at how loud some 6th graders can snore.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Same as Camp O-Ongo? Went their in the mid 70s.
Now Pali Mountain.

In 1999, Andy purchased a 74-acre site near Lake Arrowhead, CA– formerly Camp O-Ongo –to ......