Complete list of foot accessible canyons in the SGMts?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
HikeEnthusiast55

Post by HikeEnthusiast55 »

Does something like this exist?

i.e. canyons that don't require some kind of ropes or other special equipment to get into
fortified

Post by fortified »

While others will have much better, and direct answers........
I would guess, virtually every canyon has areas that are accessible, and inaccessible. The subject of the day, Eaton Canyon is accessible to the "first falls". It is also easily hiked into via about 1.3 miles above Henninger flats, take the Idle hour Trail junction from Mt. Wilson Toll Road. That trail is at the 3155 foot level. Idle hour is upper Eaton canyon. I am actually going there tomorrow, Saturday to watch the runners in the 100 miles race go by. Their will be a station at the junction.
HikeEnthusiast55

fortified wrote: While others will have much better, and direct answers........
I would guess, virtually every canyon has areas that are accessible, and inaccessible. The subject of the day, Eaton Canyon is accessible to the "first falls". It is also easily hiked into via about 1.3 miles above Henninger flats, take the Idle hour Trail junction from Mt. Wilson Toll Road. That trail is at the 3155 foot level. Idle hour is upper Eaton canyon. I am actually going there tomorrow, Saturday to watch the runners in the 100 miles race go by. Their will be a station at the junction.
The reason I'm asking is because I want to compile a list of canyons I can explore without special equipment... it's gonna be a goal of mine

That's the plan at any rate
HikeEnthusiast55

fortified wrote: While others will have much better, and direct answers........
O and I know there are absolutely dozens and dozens of canyons if no one has a list of foot-accessible ones I will compile my own list
fortified

Post by fortified »

Their is a really big one I noticed once. Its out in the dessert somewhere between here, and Nevada. Its really grand!!! Its huge!!! OK, just being funny...kinda. Well I'll check back some time later. I would be curious if anyone come up with something.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You'd kinda hafta just hike down or up a canyon and turn back if you couldn't go further without kit or skills. Most of them are miserable hot dry pointy spiky poisonous places with technical sections anyway. :)
HikeEnthusiast55

Taco wrote: You'd kinda hafta just hike down or up a canyon and turn back if you couldn't go further without kit or skills. Most of them are miserable hot dry pointy spiky poisonous places with technical sections anyway. :)
poisonous with poison ivy and/or oak you mean?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yea PO (don't think we have ivy on this coast), Stinging Nettle, Poodledog, etc.
HikeEnthusiast55

Taco wrote: Yea PO (don't think we have ivy on this coast), Stinging Nettle, Poodledog, etc.
o wow that poodledog stuff

I've touched it tons of times and had no problem. I notice that I rarely if ever feel any pain even if I touch PO.

weird

It's like I'm naturally immune