Ski Hut?

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
135driver

Post by 135driver »

Has anyone done Ski Hut to Baldy in this heat? Just curious how brutal it is.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

I went DOWN the Ski Hut trail today (6/21) about 11:00 and went by the Ski Hut about noon. This was when I began to really feel the heat. Obviously it got warmer as I continued on down.
The key would be to leave early (its light at 5:00 AM!). It was about 75 deg. on top of Baldy with a nice breeze.

There was a helicopter rescue in the creek right by the Ski Hut. Will try and post pictures in a different thread.

Happy Hiking!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Today was surprisingly mellow, except for the SARS incident....The heat surely wasn't as bad as had been feared. We went up Register Ridge early.

Apparently -- and I am paraphrasing several supposed first hand reports -- an inexperienced middle aged male hiker had shortness of breath and chest pains immediately before the final turn off to the ski hut. He pitched forward from a rock he was resting on, and fell approximately 30 feet head first down a gully before hitting a rock near the stream. He suffered head trauma and bleeding in addition to a probable heart attack..

Before I arrived at the scene, other hikers had brought down a litter and set up a tarp to keep the sun off the victim. Some trail runners flew down the hill to the nearest cell reception to call 911.

Shortly thereafter, a helicopter reported to the scene. When I left, the victim was reportedly conscious. From my perspective, it appeared that it would be necessary to hoist the victim aboard in order for him to have the greatest chance of survival......

Here's to a hopeful outcome!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

SARS is back? Best getcho facemask!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I went up via Bear Flat and down via the Ski Hut Trail today. I reached the Ski Hut at 11:13. I can't add anything to the SAR story that has not already been said. As far as temperature goes, it's summer in Southern California.

I will post a report including pictures of the burn area around Bear Flat.
135driver

Post by 135driver »

75 on the summit. Sounds like 'tis the season to be weezin.

thanks all! :shock:
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Caught my typo, Taco!
Was afraid my mistake would cause panic in the streets.....

Any more info on the guy?