Twin Peaks

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Following teke's lead, here's another TR to spice things up around here.

Made my way out to the Twins yesterday via the Mt. Waterman trail. You all know the routine so I'll skip the blow-by-blow regarding navigation, distance, elevation, etc. The twins were popular yesterday. Counting my party of 2, 11 folks signed the register on East Twin and we saw one coming up late. Lots of peeps on the Mt. Waterman trail as we were coming down at about 6. Also encountered some mountains bikers blasting down the trail at day's end. Guess the Waterman trail is open to bikes because it sits just outside the designated Wilderness. Didn't make it to West Twin because my hiking compadre fell ill on the East summit. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go back. 8)

Some pics for your viewing pleasure:

Eyeing East Twin from the Waterman Trail

The Twins

Signage at Twin Peaks Saddle. Didn't see any heliport nearby.

Over-the-Shoulder look at Waterman

Lounging View from atop East Twin Summit

Pleasant View Ridge from East Twin

View West from East Twin

West Twin

Spring on the Use Trail down to Twin Peaks Saddle

View toward Tripplets in the Late Afternoon Light
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice one, Rico!

IMO, the Twin area is the most beautiful area of the ANF, at least the parts I've seen. Willie and Sean drank straight from that spring being the wild mountain men they are.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, a real nice place without trash or anything. :) Right on.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

No argument here guys. The Twin Peaks area is fine. Pleasant View Ridge and North Backbone are super nice as well.

As for Twin Peaks, has anyone been to/does anyone know where Bill Sturtevant's summer camp spot was near Twin Peaks Saddle? Probably nothing there, but it might be cool to see where Sturtevant hung out. Must of been a hell of a trek to get out there in those days.
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

I guess I met you on the hike as your were descending Waterman. Me the guy with wife and new German Shepherd. I'd guess you were one of those 2 grizzly guys (was it you wearing the bight orange so no hunters would mistake you for a bear?).

The mountain bikers were not totally blasting outta control, but they were not as trained in bike etiquette as they should be. What was your experience? Mine was they wanted ME to pull over, and as the uphill hiker, the polite way to roll is THEY pull over. Plus they were skidding their turns. Very bad form.

I'll go over onto the local bike forum and rant at them (I ride, and it pisses me off when young dudes blow it for the rest of us..).
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Yeah Sewelly that me in the day-glo orange. Just making sure they can find the body when I don't return.

MTBers came up on us fast but were polite in passing. They definitely left their (skid)marks on the trail.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That's cool that the little spring has water even in this dry year. It seems pretty reliable even though it never flows much more than a trickle.

HJ
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Also one of my favorite areas. I like the stiff climb up from the Saddle to Twin Peaks. The picture of the spring made me thirsty.