Private Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Yesterday I scrambled up San Antonio Creek

from Baldy Village to the mouth of Private Canyon, directly across from Icehouse.

It took a bit of scrambling over fallen logs and boulders and yucca and junk to get to the narrow, somewhat hidden, rocky bed of Private Canyon.

It's a relatively short trip up this gully, the highlight being the Nipple Chute,

a cool place to practice some rockclimbing

and nearly kill yourself by pulling loose boulders onto your right knee while in a precarious position.

If you're similarly inclined, you too can try to find Pavel's route down to Bear Flat along the ridge. Or, if you're in a hurry to get down, you can give up on Pavel's route and instead trash your exposed parts by plowing through the thorns.

I'm still trying to remove the thorn-tips from my palms. But I guess it was worth it for the views.

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Private Canyon must be very private. I can't find it on Caltopo.com.

Nipple Chute sure makes a point. Fine place to "teat"ch rock climbing so you don't look like a boob.
I'm still trying to remove the thorn-tips from my palms. But I guess it was worth it for the views.
Every thorn has it's rose. :)
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I lost my Garmin in the thorn farm above Bear Flat. But here is a rough idea of the loop.

http://caltopo.com/map?id=0466
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks for the topo. That stinks losing the GPS. A rough area for sure. Thornwhacking is not high on my to do list.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

More & more thanks to you SGMDF 'coo coo for canyons buffs' :wink: :wink: .... double-winked & meant in the most UPful & respectful usage of 'coo coo'... many of us wouldn't be 'here' without you [& your camera of course].

Such a beautiful view into Ice House.....

If I could slap a little shack down, it might be at this very spot...

Cool TR, Sean, thanks...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

tekewin wrote: Private Canyon must be very private. I can't find it on Caltopo.com.

Nipple Chute sure makes a point. Fine place to "teat"ch rock climbing so you don't look like a boob.
If he lost his GPS, all he has is his mammaries.