P-22, Passenger Pigeons and Us

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

An interesting article came out in the May-June 2014 issue of Audubon Magazine regarding Passenger Pigeons and, ultimately, human interaction with the environment.

Link: Why Passenger Pigeons went Extinct

Strictly food for thought.. perhaps I should have put this post in "The Pub"
tracker

Post by tracker »

It's hard to imagine any creature in the numbers described. I can't help but think it was more than hunting that led to their extinction. The Carolina Parakeet has a similar story as far as the end result.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

tracker wrote: It's hard to imagine any creature in the numbers described. I can't help but think it was more than hunting that led to their extinction. The Carolina Parakeet has a similar story as far as the end result.
I agree. There are certainly other pressures such as habitat loss that influence a relatively quick extinction. I've also wondered about an emergent disease in these situations. Think white-nose syndrome in bats... Knowledge of wildlife pathology or disease epidemiology in that era certainly wasn't what it is now.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Mike P wrote: I agree. There are certainly other pressures such as habitat loss that influence a relatively quick extinction. I've also wondered about an emergent disease in these situations. Think white-nose syndrome in bats... Knowledge of wildlife pathology or disease epidemiology in that era certainly wasn't what it is now.
That's why I jump to point out when I see that there may be other possible explanations to situations. It irks me when I see science used to promote an agenda, while exculpatory data is not mentioned. It's like someone wants to enlighten me, but they are going to decide what information I need to know and what information is just, oh, too technical to be worth sharing.
:wink: Where's that soapbox emoticon again?