Do deer get mange?

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I assume the answer is yes, since they are social mammals. This doe is in Temescal canyon, Santa Monicas. I have video of her getting progressively thinner, with more hair loss on her sides. But the other deer on this cam look good.

Individual immune problems? Mike P? Tracker?

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Wow! That doe looks poor. Yes, deer can get mange. I don't know if its been observed in Southern California mule deer, however. I defer to tracker on that point.

Immune issues, such as hypersensitivities, can certainly be a problem. I also wonder if other systemic illnesses could produce this look?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

She looks bloated in recent video. Either pregnant, or ??? But the hair loss and muscle wasting in the back limbs is progressing. She will get chomped by P27 or another lion soon I would think.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

If she is getting bigger, I'm betting she's pregnant. We have eight doe around my place now and a few of them are looking, let's say, gravid!

As for the cats, it's their job, no, duty, to cull the sick ones. :)
tracker

Post by tracker »

If it is warm-blooded and has hair it can get mange.
Overall health and immune system strength will hold it off in healthy populations, but it can affect just about any critter when there is a weakness or stress to their systems.
P-22, our Griffith Park lion, is showing signs of mange. He'll probably get a dose of something next time his collar batteries are changed.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

tracker wrote: If it is warm-blooded and has hair it can get mange.
Overall health and immune system strength will hold it off in healthy populations, but it can affect just about any critter when there is a weakness or stress to their systems.
P-22, our Griffith Park lion, is showing signs of mange. He'll probably get a dose of something next time his collar batteries are changed.
Is it common to see mule deer with mange?

Edit: As for P-22, mange may be the least of his problems if he continues to walk down the neighborhood streets.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Is it common to see mule deer with mange?
In truly wild areas, no. In what I call "urban wildlife", terms like common, normal, etc., have a different meaning. The condition the deer in the pic has could be a couple different things.
As for P-22, mange may be the least of his problems if he continues to walk down the neighborhood streets.
No doubt. He may be looking for a girlfriend, which has been the downfall of many a Hollywood male who walks the streets. :lol:
But, you never know. The Verdugo dog-eater seems to have found his way north of the 210. Or, he has gone back to eating deer and a different lion has discovered that dogs are plentiful and a lot easier to catch.
I hope they both lay low next week. Half of our officers, including me, will be in Sac for training all week.